Disc Wiper?

• 25 February 2014
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Hi peeps!

Can anyone tell me if there is some kind of programme that lets you wipe your old files from disc so that you can use them again.

Probably not, the manufacturers have to make money somehow, but it seems a bit of a waste that you can only use them once, I've got millions of the things with one back-up on.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Wipe your hard disk? When you reinstall Windows you can do it from there. If you are giving your hard disk away or binning it there are a number of free programs that will do this to ensure no data can be easily recovered (Dban being a popular one I use)
Userlevel 6
Badge +23
No Rakanisheu, not the hard disc, CD's, DVD,s etc.
Userlevel 5
That will only work for Rewritables (so CD-RW or DVD-RW branded one's). These are obviously more expensive, but you can reuse them as you see fit.

Nowadays they have mostly been superseded by USB devices and Smart Cards as those will store far more data then any CD or DVD will ever hold and they are far less fragile.
Userlevel 7
Hi Johan

Agreed, and if using a USB Stick or SD Card you can reat them very much like a hard disk in terms of wiping them securely before reusing them.

But, Linda, if you decide to go with CD-RW or DVD-RW (Rewritable) then once the disc is in the drive you can find it under 'Computer' and right clicking on it brings up a context menue which includes the option to 'Erase this disc'...so yo can do it from the OS, without the need for a 3rd party app.

Regards

Baldrick