Does Windows 10 have privacy issues

• 20 June 2015
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16
one of the tech support guys at work seems to think so.

I cannot see the corporate sense in passing the new windows out free, especially as they have not been so alturistic before.

Let's just say I'm a bit cynical.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Well I don't think so and the free upgrade is only for Windows 7 and Windows 8 & 8.1 and I really like Windows 10 as I have been Testing each new release Build and WSA works flawlessly on them!

Daniel 😉
That is an almost impossible question to ask at this stage in the game. Are there security issues with Windows 10. Yes. However as each revision is released those issues are closed until someone digs and finds other issues. In this regard it is no different then any other version of Windows (or any OS for that matter).

Actually with Edge being the default browser (Replacing IE) and its security set up to NOT allow addons, this is actually more secure then most. I suspect Edge will allow addons in the final release but for now it is locked down.

So I suggest, to give it a try and tell your co-workers that to condemn a OS before it officially is released to the masses is not logical and in all likelihood will be a false statement. As Daniel stated we have been testing Windows 10 for some time now and find it sturdy with alot of good features and the best part is Webroot is solid on it and is keeping us safe.
Userlevel 7
It makes perfect sense for them to give it away for free

1) It gets people off Windows 7,8 and 8.1
2) This in turns means less updates, less updates = less staff = less costs
3) Less piracy to worry about since they are giving it free
4) Less piracy means they don't have to employ people to man the phones for windows activation. Don't have to employee people to write the activation tool.
Userlevel 5
Badge +16
My question concerned privacy issues, in as much as are Microsoft going to use this as tool for collecting personal information.

In such matters my trust in large corporations is nil.
You do realize that unless you use TOR browser or something similar you are giving personal surfing habits to whoever makes and supports the browser. How do you think Google knows everything about everyone? As for Microsoft collecting personal information on us, why would you think that will occur?

As companies go, Microsoft is probably one of the most analyzed and scrutinized of any publicly held company. Every version of Windows since Windows 95 has had similar concerns which have been found to be completely unfounded. Microsoft calls home for several reasons and they are to check and install updates that are needed for each individual system (Rather clever process actually). Windows also calls home to verify the activation code applied to the system. This is completely designed just to help prevent pirating of their software.

The idea of Microsoft wanting and collecting personal information outside of general information like surfing habits, general system info and usage is rather absurd. To protect yourself from divulging personal information several steps should be taken:
  • Re-evaluate what software you use to connect to the outside world. Web Browsers are the #1 culprit for personal information breaches because of addons and simple bad housekeeping practices.
  • Obtain and keep updated a secure Antivirus software will help prevent bad software from ever entering into the system.
  • A security software that monitors and tracks the ports on a system. Windows Firewall does a decent job at this but a third party software will help tighten that a bit more.
Basically if you are using a software suite like Webroot will help control all the above points. Is it foolproof? No but with smart use it will make a system much more secure and worry free.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi @,

Thanks Andy! That was very well said and I happen to agree totally with your statements and point of view.