DuckDuckGo is building a privacy-first desktop browser for macOS

• 22 December 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7

The search-engine company is expanding its offerings from mobile to desktop.

By Jason Cross

Staff Writer,  Macworld DEC 21, 2021 12:20 PM PS

DuckDuckGo started as a simple idea: A search engine site that respects your privacy. It doesn’t remember your searches, store information about you, embed trackers, or in any other way violate your privacy. 

It works well and has become quite popular, so the company wanted to go further. First, it built a mobile browser for iOS and Android that’s just as privacy-minded as the search engine with has a nifty Fire Button that instantly “burns” all your data and local history. It enforces encryption, blocks hidden trackers, and more.

★★ Full Article ★★

2 replies

Userlevel 7

Here it is on the macOS Safari setting:

Userlevel 7

I selected my “Search Engine” to DuckDuckGo as in the screen shot above.

I also installed DuckDuckGo to the Safari Browser from the App Store.

With all of DuckDuckGo enabled there are financial websites that ask for my “2 Step Verification” when logging in. I also tic “Remember This Browser”, Give the code to complete the 2 Step Verification then I’m logged in. When trying to log into the same website it asks for the 2 Step Verification again. This can be a PITA every time I log in. I noticed a work around and disabled “Privacy Protection” in the DuckDuckGo Safari app. With this disabled it doesn’t ask for the 2 Step Verification. I can’t find a setting in the DuckDuckGo App for exceptions to certain websites. Anyone know if DuckDuckGo has this exception to certain websites?

Here’s the work around: