Eight Reasons Your Next Computer Should Be a PC

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Eight Reasons Your Next Computer Should Be a PC
By Harry McCracken, PCWorldApr 26, 2009 5:00 PMprint
Let's just say it: For the vast majority of computer shoppers, buying a Windows PC doesn't quite qualify as a decision. Around nine out of ten computers run one version of Windows or another, making it the world's default option in operating systems. It's opting for something else, like a Mac, that always represents a conscious choice.

Which is not to say that there aren't plenty of real reasons to select a computer that runs Windows, even after you've investigated all your options. As a confirmed platform agnostic whose home is overrun with both Windows machines and Macs, I find myself recommending Windows machines to about half my friends and acquaintances who seek computer-shopping advice, and Macs to the other half. So I was happy when PC World asked me to write this article and a companion piece about the virtues of Macs--and I had plenty to say in both instances.

Here's my list of the eight most compelling reasons to buy a computer whose operating system hails from Redmond. I've ranked them in order of importance as I see it. But as always with anything relating to technology, your priorities are almost certainly at least somewhat different than mine.

http://www.techhive.com/article/163836/eight_reasons_your_next_computer_should_be_a_pc.html

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I'm a PC no ifs ands or buts! 😃 I'm not a Big Mac......................

Daniel 😃
Userlevel 7
It would an elephant flying for my next one to be a Mac :-) 
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Awha @ I knew you would surface! Yes I know you are and of course you are and a lot of the WSA Forum are PC die hards....yes yes but I'm getting you guys attention and got ya going there....:) 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Maybe iphone but definitely not a Mac. :p

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
😞 ooooh not an iPhone! It's uncontrollably uncontrolled by the user...Apple controls a lot of aspects! 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
So you're saying Android all the way? Or Windows Phone?

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Debatable but probably Android.....???
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Me tooooooooooo! :D

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Great!!! 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hey where's my solution credit? Daniel.......I'm a PC no ifs ands or buts! I'm not a Big Mac......................
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
😞 ooooh not an iPhone! It's uncontrollably uncontrolled by the user...Apple controls a lot of aspects! ;)
"Uncrollably uncontrolled"  Thanks Sherry, I need to remember that one.  I remember one of my professors telling the class how dumb and stupid the computers were.  Half the class flipped out until he pointed out that the computer - Mac or PC - will only do what it has been instructed to do by a human.  Can you say "User error?"

"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
-- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

Userlevel 7
PC for my next one for sure. Mac is a no no.

@ wrote:
So you're saying Android all the way? Or Windows Phone?

Daniel
WP all the way.;)