Enable data protection by creating a passcode for your iOS device:
- Tap Settings > General > Passcode
- Follow the prompts to create your passcode
- Once your code is set, scroll to the bottom of the screen and verify that "Data protection is enabled" is visible
Android encryption can take hours to complete and will need to be done with a full battery. Keep in mind that you can only reverse encryption by performing a factory reset on your phone.
- Enable your lock screen PIN or password: Open Settings > tap Security > tap Screen Lock > Tap PIN or Password
- Plug in your phone and do not unplug/interrupt the encryption process (you will lose data from your phone)
- Open Settings > tap Security > tap Encrypt phone/tablet under Encryption