EU Passes Law Forcing Apple to Switch to USB-C by 2024

Userlevel 7

By Rajesh Pandey • 5:47 am, October 4, 2022

The European Parliament voted in an overwhelming majority Tuesday to enforce USB-C as the standard charging port across a wide range of consumer electronics. The law will come into effect by the end of 2024.

With the legislation passed, Apple has a couple of years to complete the transition of its product lineup to USB-C. The company continues to use the Lightning port on iPhone and some accessories for charging purposes.

★★ Full Article ★★

25 replies

Userlevel 7

Here’s a link for the BBC on this news:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-63132831

Looks like I better get some extra Lightning Cables to charge my Apple keyboard, mouse, iPad before they go out of stock. 😡🤬

Userlevel 7
Badge +62

Well I  see that as a good thing!! Too many types of USBs of different devices is just wrong. I can't even tell you how many different USB plug ends I have acquired through the years!! 

I'm shocked that Apple has to change to the C port. It's about time!! 2024 here they come!!🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

Well I  see that as a good thing!! Too many types of USBs of different devices is just wrong. I can't even tell you how many different USB plug ends I have acquired through the years!! 

I'm shocked that Apple has to change to the C port. It's about time!! 2024 here they come!!🤣

Couldn’t agree more! I hope this translates to them doing this in the USA too! One my biggest issues with Apple is there insistence on proprietary interfaces so you are stuck paying a premium. Apple is known for quality products and conforming to a universal interface isn’t going to hamper quality or their elite status

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

As an android person, this doesn’t impact me direct, however my wife is an apple advocate and there are various devices in the house. I see this as only a positive, Apple charge through the teeth for the brand as it is (I mean come on, nearly a grand for a monitor STAND?) so this is a win!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes, I can see this eventually being a good thing. But speaking from an Apple only household, we have lightning cables everywhere. I literally mean in every room to charge stuff. Took a while to get to that point. Be annoying to have to buy replacements!

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

Be annoying to have to buy replacements!

But it wont be expensive ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Apple are complaining that it is a security threat 🤔

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

How would it be a security threat? Am I being thick? Surely, they would say anything to stop it happening though? I feel for those with lightning cables throughout the house (Russell!) but as Tyler says, at least it won’t be expensive!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I would imagine (assume) it’s down to fear of malware on connected devices. 
They will get around this by going portless anyway!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes. It won’t cost lots to replace all my cables round the house. But I don’t work for Apple anyway so I’ll have to actually buy them all this time!

As for security. I can see what Apple mean as lightning is their proprietary connector so they can secure the firmware and software. They can’t do the same with usb-c

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

Apple right now

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes. It won’t cost lots to replace all my cables round the house. But I don’t work for Apple anyway so I’ll have to actually buy them all this time!

As for security. I can see what Apple mean as lightning is their proprietary connector so they can secure the firmware and software. They can’t do the same with usb-c

A fair point, although I would say they put themselves in that position when they introduced it in the first place! Genuinely feel for you though and anyone else that has to replace them all (of which my wife and daughter will have to, and by them, I mean ME!!)

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I am 100% on board with this. I HATE proprietary connectors and adapters. I remember back when everyone but Sony was using SD cards in digital cameras and they had to have their own special shape. So annoying.

Even stuff where 2 similar Canon cameras took batteries that were juuuust enough different that you couldn’t use one in the other.

Let’s standardize this stuff. Less cables to worry about.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yep. Standardising is good for consumers. But can also be good for hackers! Can’t win!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Yeah, maybe. I’m not really buying the security argument. I can’t find anything on that topic from Apple, but sounds more like they’re just grasping for anything to object to the ruling.

Totally agree with @MunkeyMan on this, though. Apple’s never going to release a USB C iPhone. They are going straight to wireless and just getting rid of the port altogether.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yeah, maybe. I’m not really buying the security argument. I can’t find anything on that topic from Apple, but sounds more like they’re just grasping for anything to object to the ruling.

Totally agree with @MunkeyMan on this, though. Apple’s never going to release a USB C iPhone. They are going straight to wireless and just getting rid of the port altogether.

“Grasping” is the key word here. What they charge for their products and accessories is daylight robbery. 

Userlevel 6
Badge

It's about time, as someone who works on multiple devices it would be nice to have thing more universal, although I’m not sure how I feel about the government forcing Apple to do it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

About time something like this comes into effect. This should be passed globally. My laptop uses USB-C why cant the “glorious” apple follow suite also? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I wonder how many Lightning to USB-C cables Apple have in surplus that they’ll now have to render obsolete!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I am sure they can flog them on the cheap for people that do have older devices

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I am sure they can flog them on the cheap for people that do have older devices

I’m sure they’ll do ok for money!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It may be close...

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It may be close...

😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

There was an interesting article on the continuation of the Lightning cable. They basically said the because so many accessories use it, it will be around for a while. But personally, I am happy to see the phone finally go USB-C. About time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

There was an interesting article on the continuation of the Lightning cable. They basically said the because so many accessories use it, it will be around for a while. But personally, I am happy to see the phone finally go USB-C. About time.

Yes. Why have a ‘universal’ standard one end of the cable, but a proprietary the other! It’s served them well but time to change.