export passwords to Firefox

• 12 August 2014
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Hi peeps!

I downloaded Firefox last night as suggested by a help notice that kept flashing up when getting a 'oops! snap?' (something like that) message.  I'd like to know if there's an easy way to export/import all my passwords from Chrome.  It's amazing how much you use passwords and how upsetting it is when, like me, have been relying on Chrome to remember them for you.  Is there any way to see the passwords so that I could manually re-enter them all in Firefox?

Loopy

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Yes you can import your settings from another browser, if you go to the Bookmark manager and click on "Import and Backup" there is an option to import from another browser.
Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Does that empty my passwords from Chrome and store them in Firefox, leaving Chrome holding no passwords or are they just copied?
Userlevel 7
Hi Linda

Generally an export is just the taking of a copy for external use...i.e., your original data is left intact, and as far as I know that this is the case here.

So you should be fine.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 6
Badge +23
That's good to know, thanks Baldrick 🙂
Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Me again peeps!

I've just tried to import passwords from Chrome to Firefox by way of the bookmark Import Wizard; but this only lets you download cookies, browsing history and bookmarks not passwords!    

"New Firefox profiles should offer to migrate Google Chrome settings and data including at least bookmarks, passwords, history, form data, & cookies, and if possible also search services, keywords, tags, pop-up settings, cookie settings, page zoom levels, geolocation permissions, storage permissions, window size and position, toolbar visibility and ordering, proxies, malware settings, and tab opening order/position settings".  (taken from Bugzilla@Mozilla)

It seems that there is no way to totally 'migrate' from Chrome, unless I missed something on the initial installation.... can anyone tell me if this is right or not?  I have a horrible feeling that I'm gonna have to go through each website and change every password so that Firefox will store them!!!!  :(