Extensions for Microsoft Edge now available for Preview

• 19 March 2016
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 7
Posted by VasudevG@TWC with Tags Edge, Insider Preview, Windows 10

Again, a further artcile abouit the development of Edge and something that many Community members have been asking about for a while now. We are not there yet but this would seem to indicate some light on the horizon in this area.

http://news.thewindowsclubco.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Edge-extensions-400x354.png

"Microsoft has made available first set of extensions for Microsoft Edge for Preview. This has been made available to Windows Insiders. Since the Microsoft Edge project started, Microsoft roadmap included extensions so as to bring many new and interesting features for the customers. This will also support the vibrant developer community and urge them to innovate.

Microsoft’s highest priority about Microsoft Edge is safety and security. So keeping in mind, its over 20 years of experience, it has learnt how poorly written or malicious add-ons were a big issue for browser’s safety, reliability and performance. Keeping this in mind Microsoft Edge has been built and customers can add extensions to the browser with confidence."

Full Article

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
This is great! It's been a long time in waiting for Edge to be able to have extensions! I am very excited about this. This will make Edge far better IMO. More people will use Edge after this improvement>

Thanks Baldrick for the good find and update!:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
Great news.........................I have been using Edge since upgrading to Windows 10 and find it a speedy Browser, Adding a few extensions will be a huge improvement!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Took them long enough 🙂
Userlevel 7
Indeed, Nic...but hopefully the wait has been worthwhile and we will not get some half baked implementation that is riddled with flaws and potential exploit avenues for the miscreants to take advantage of...better late than precipitous...in my book. ;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Fair enough - better to wait and get it right, than half-ass it!
Userlevel 7
Yeppers...and if they end up half-assing it anyway...then we can call them rotten, as they will have had enough time to get it right. ;)

What would be great to know is if the Development Team have any indication as to whether and if so when they may be in a position to provide Toolbar/Vault & Threat Filtering extensions for Edge? I would have thought that by now we would have heard something, even if just a ballpark view of when something might...just...appear?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
Have a peek here.........................

https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2016/03/17/preview-extensions/
Userlevel 7
Hi Lyle

Yes, seen that (a little while back) and that is what I based my response on...there is still a way to go before extensions/addons come rattling out for Edge...especially in relation to something security based such as the Webroot extensions. I am sure that Webroot will be working on this but as I said before I suspect that it will take time before they are GA.

They are coming but it is early days yet as evidenced by the meagre number of extensions currently available. ;)

Regards, Baldrick