extremely slow dsl internet

• 6 January 2016
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
I am using windows 10. My DSL internet is sometimes extremely slow. Could someone be on my router? How can I check?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi babboriss

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I am afraid that there is no easy answer to this but on thing that you could try is to reset your router...the user manual should contain the relevant details to do that.

Also you could take a look at this article that deals with slow internet connections, as some of the information therein may give you some further pointers.

Regards, Baldrick

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
? you also did not specify how you connect to the DSL box. Wifi or wired.
How old is your computer and is it certified to run the OS you are running? is your wireless password protected or not
( if not then maybe half the area's piggybacking on your wifi access point ).
Many questions need many answers but like Baldrick said read that article first.
Userlevel 1
Thanks Baldrick. I will read the article. The last time I had similar difficulties in typing in my browser (firefox) it turned out to be malware which I got from taking a survey. BestBuy cleaned it up for me. But this time the typing is good.
Userlevel 1
Edwin, I have a router in the house. I connect another router in the barn using wire. My pc computer is wired to the second router. When I had a tv in the barn, I streamed very well via wifi of the 2nd router. The tv is gone and later the slow internet got worse and worse. I sinced rebooted both routers. The router in the barn is the slave to the one in the house.
Babbo
Userlevel 1
Problem solved!
I have been using FireFox. I just got a new copy of FireFox and still have the problem. I decided to try the new Windows browser. The internet works fine. MS must have made some change to give problems for other browsers so we would try theirs. Thanks everyone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Problem solved!
I have been using FireFox. I just got a new copy of FireFox and still have the problem. I decided to try the new Windows browser. The internet works fine. MS must have made some change to give problems for other browsers so we would try theirs. Thanks everyone.
It could be one of the Extensions in Firefox to slow it down if your willing install again with all add-ons and disable one at a time as I have no issues here with Firefox but I'm using the 64bit version: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/

Daniel