Facebook Cracks Down on Deepfake Videos

• 7 January 2020
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

January 7, 2020 By Lindsey O'Donnell 

facebook bans deepfakes

Despite the difficulties of identifying deepfakes, social media sites are recognizing the need to crack down on the manipulated, misleading videos.

Facebook is banning deepfake videos, which stem from a technique of human-image synthesis based on artificial intelligence (AI) to create fake content.

Over the past year, security experts and lawmakers have voiced concerns about malicious deepfake applications, particularly as a vessel for disinformation on social-media platforms ahead of the 2020 elections. Facebook on Monday said it will remove misleading videos from its platform — however, it will not crack down on all doctored content, such as “satire” video, as the company attempts to walk the thin line between free speech and misinformation.

Full Article.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

They also mention filters as well… Umm lots of people use those for everyday videos. (Snapchat type, vaporwave, etc) My Galaxy S9+ has a lot of video filters for different colors and such are they gonna detect those as deepfakes as well? That’s not a good move FB. Never trust an algorythm made by a one sided company that even has censored some organic living pages I follow as well as several cat groups keep getting censored. I won’t trust them to decide what videos are deep faked.