Facebook Introduces Hack – Faster, Easier Programming Language

• 22 March 2014
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Facebook Inc (FB) wants to change the way computer programmers program by making it easier and faster

Computer programmers know that misplacing a decimal point could mean their entire program is broken, but Facebook Inc believes its new programming language will change that. The social network unveiled the language it calls “Hack” today, saying that it should speed up programming while also making it easier to catch errors in code.

In a post today, Facebook said its engineers developed the new programming language for HHVM and that it “interoperates seamlessly with PHP.” They also said it “reconciles the fast development cycle of PHP with the discipline provided by static typing, while adding many features commonly found in other modern programming language.”

Full Article

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Very interesting, Petr...thanks for posting.

All I will say is that I think that this is just another 'flash in the pan'...at an attempt to get to the Holy Grail of programming.  Many have tried and they have all failed and I see no reason why facebook will success....but then again you never know.  No until we have artificial intelligence that allows computers to compete with humans as programmers will there be any chance of achieving what they are underlyinly looking to do...i.e., fault free programming.

But, IMHO, there is no harm in trying...;)

Regards

Baldrick