Facebook’s Like Buttons Will Soon Track Your Web Browsing to Target Ads

• 18 September 2015
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
 By Tom Simonite on September 16, 2015       

Facebook’s ad targeting algorithms are about to get a new firehose of valuable and controversial personal data.
Starting next month, the millions of Facebook “Like” and “Share” buttons that publishers have added to their pages and mobile apps will start funneling data on people’s Web browsing habits into the company’s ad targeting systems. After the change, the types of sites you visit could be used to tune ads shown to you inside Facebook’s social networking service, its photo-sharing service Instagram, and mobile apps that use Facebook’s ad network. 

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/541351/facebooks-like-buttons-will-soon-track-your-web-browsing-to-target-ads/

10 replies

Userlevel 7
To be honest, I always assumed they were already doing this.  
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Well they won't be showing me any ads in there, I have them all blocked with an add-on. But I just assumed they were doing that anyway as well.
Userlevel 7
Oh yes.. I am running an Ad Blocker... I NEVER see ads on Facebook or any other site 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
I have FB Purity for Facebook, it blocks anything which you don't want nd I have never had a problem with it - YET!
Userlevel 7
i might have to give that one a try!
Userlevel 7
All well and good but, old fogey that I am, I do not have and will never have a Facebook account...more trouble than it is worth...and why broadcast to the world about what yo are doing and then claim that your privacy has been invaded...LOL
Userlevel 6
I hate to be the one to point this out, but those have been tracking users for some time already. If you use tools like Noscript, and lightbeam, and several others, you will have known this... 
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Well, Sir Baldrick, we agree on more than image backups.  

Same here... never, never.

Dave
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Good thing I don't use Facebook! I'm only a Twit....ter Fan! LOL

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
?, I did go ahead and look that little FB extension up.  WOW.. a lot more control over what FB shows than I imagined it would have.  Two thumbs up from me, thanks!