Fact or Myth? "I already have antivirus software and don’t need more"

• 31 January 2012
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 5
  • Retired Webrooter
  • 58 replies
Myth!

Antivirus protection is a slicker in the storm and it’s great that you have it for inclement “conditions.” However, a new virus enters the web-o-sphere quicker than you can say, “Trojan-says-what?” Buy software that updates definitions regularly, preferably automatically.

Also, antivirus software only stops viruses from infecting your system while you browse, which is great, but it’s not going to save you from a hacker’s super-smart coding hat trick. Get a multilayered solution that sweeps, firewalls, and safeguards.

4 replies

Good to know but how do you know you've got enough products?  Even webroot offers a multitude of products and I'm not savvy enough to know what I need and don't.

Userlevel 5
You raise a very valid point. It can be difficult to know exactly which product is right for you and your lifestyle - and with so many products out there, it's a real process to find one that matches both your budget and technological needs.

To start, I would suggest visiting our product comparison page here: http://www.webroot.com/En_US/consumer-compare.html

Once you're there you'll see the three different products we offer:

1. Webroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus
  2. Webroot SecureAnywhere Essentials
  3. Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete
Each of these products is designed with a different lifestyle in mind. For example, if you have multiple PCs and multiple smartphones to protect - and you do a good amount of online shopping and banking - you will benefit from the multi-device coverage, identity protection (for things like banking and shopping), and online back up features that come standard with Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete.

If you have one PC and you're just looking to get great protection, without all the bells and whistles and mobile device protection, Webroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus may be a better fit.

If you want stronger identity protection than our antivirus product offers, and you have more than one PC, you might like the versatility of Webroot SecureAnywhere Essentials.

Does that all make sense?

That makes great sense.  I wish I'd had that earlier.  I recently had a couple of online computer techs from and unnamed company, xxll, that convinced me I needed an antivirus software and I tried to convince them that my security essentials was exactly that.  After a long discussion I lost the argument and now have less cash and now have two antivirus programs,...their recommended AND security essentials.  Thanks for the help.
Userlevel 5
The one thing AlexF didn't mention is that WSA has been engineered to co-exist happily with another anti-malware product. It can, of course, be run on its own.