Solved

Forum Trouble with Win. XP

Userlevel 7
I have been having trouble with the Webroot Forum loading on my XP computer using IE-8. This has been happening for awhile and it seems the more posts in a thread the longer it takes to load. This happens on both XP machines. I have done all I could, clean cookies / IE / defrag etc. and it's still doing it. I have no problems with FF on the forum. This only happens on the Webroot Forum. Other forums load normal with IE-8.
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 20 May 2013, 19:30

View original

73 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hey Dave have a look at your IE addons and try to disable all and see if that helps then enable one at a time to find a possible slow loading addon.

Daniel
Userlevel 7
That didn't work. :(  I disabled all addons in IE, still loads slow. (Only this Forum)
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
That didn't work. :(  I disabled all addons in IE, still loads slow. (Only this Forum)
Did you delete all Browsing History including temp internet files?

Userlevel 7
Done that. I just ran WSA System Cleaner then a reboot. Same results only for this forum.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Sorry then I`m out of Idea`s as IE10 is working fine maybe a staff member can look at it on the forum side? Also when did it start acting up?
Userlevel 7
It started just about 2 weeks ago, give or take a few days.
Userlevel 7
I know you said that you cleared your cookies, would you mind trying to click Ctrl+F5 when on the page that is taking too long to load?
Userlevel 7
Hi Mike.
Done what you stated, still the same.
Userlevel 7
Would you mind trying TH's instructions with the following settings enabled and the others disabled:

Userlevel 7
Ran the Delete Browsing History. Forum still running slow on some posts.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Your Win 7 system is fine right?
Userlevel 7
Win 7 runs fine. This XP runs fine except on some posts on this forum. I remember I think it was last year when Norton switched forums. XP users had the same problem. Is this the same type forum as Norton?
Userlevel 7
@ProTruckDriver
I have visited this Community and it loads as fast as any other site with similar amount of content. IE 8, XP Home SP3 32bit. Would you mind emphasizing on 'except on some posts on this forum'?
Userlevel 7
Thanks Dave for this post because had I not read it I wouldn't realize that I had the same experience on my very old Acer laptop (almost from the stone age) which I gave to my grandmother. This laptop has XP with IE8.

I visited her a few weeks back and wanted to look at this forum and I have to say that browsing this forum was very very very slow. On the upside other sites loaded fine and reasonably quickly (considering the age of the laptop). This forum was clearly slower than other sites. True is that I didn't attach great importance to this slow browsing.

Sorry I cannot help you more because I don't have any XP machine available now.

However, I confirm your experience with the slow browsing of this forum on XP machines. Hope Webroot techies will solve it soon.
Userlevel 7
PTD, could you please follow these instructions to help me see what's happening?

1. Go to one of the pages having the issue.
2. Hit F12 to bring up the dev console.
3. Switch back to the page and refresh it
4. Switch back to the dev console and either copy/paste or screenshot the errors that will probably appear in the "console" area on the right side.
5. Post them here, and I'll take a look.

Cursory inspection in an IE8 browser running XP on this end gives me an idea as to what might be happening, but I don't know how it only would have began for you just a few weeks ago.

I'll see what I can do if you can provide that troubleshooting info.

Alternatively, you could always update to IE9.  IE8 doesn't support many modern web conventions.  It is, after all, a browser that is 4 years old and saw a replacement (IE9) released for it 2 years ago.  While it will still work for web browsing, it is kind of like running a steam engine down the tracks of a bullet train, to borrow some language from Google.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Sorry Jim no IE9 for XP have a look at your link.

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Good point - I had a brain fart :@

Anyway, if you post the error log, I can have a look.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Good point - I had a brain fart :@

Anyway, if you post the error log, I can have a look.

If you find to be indecent please remove as I'm going offline for a few hours. ;)

Daniel
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Win 7 runs fine. This XP runs fine except on some posts on this forum. I remember I think it was last year when Norton switched forums. XP users had the same problem. Is this the same type forum as Norton?
Yep. This and the Norton forums have the same coding.
Userlevel 7
JimM wrote:Anyway, if you post the error log, I can have a look.

This is from the "Good Morning" thread:

Userlevel 7
I did a little research, and it seems that a lot of Lithium-powered forums are having issues with XP machines over the past few weeks.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I did a little research, and it seems that a lot of Lithium-powered forums are having issues with XP machines over the past few weeks.
I've been having problems with the slowness on the Norton Forum also now. Maybe it is the Lithium-powered forums, they know Win XP is out the door next year. :(
I bought the Dell computer many years ago from QVC before Vista was released. It came with an "Express Upgrade to Windows Vista" DVD. I could do a upgrade from XP to Vista, but that may be like "jumping from the frying pan into the fire". :S
I'm still looking for a good New Win 7 Desktop, Win 8 tooooo many bugs from what I hear. 😉
Userlevel 7
I have been running Win 8 for months now, both on my personal laptop and on my work desktop. No problems whatsoever.

I have actually come to like the OS. Lots of nice features.
Userlevel 7
I might be able to fix that error. I'll look into it and get back to you. It's going to take some research. Thanks for posting it up. 🙂
Userlevel 7
I think I've got this fixed in the next push for you PTD. IE8 doesn't like certain javascript functions, and I've replaced them with ones it can use. We'll find out sometime Friday if that took care of it.