Solved

Forum Trouble with Win. XP

Userlevel 7
I have been having trouble with the Webroot Forum loading on my XP computer using IE-8. This has been happening for awhile and it seems the more posts in a thread the longer it takes to load. This happens on both XP machines. I have done all I could, clean cookies / IE / defrag etc. and it's still doing it. I have no problems with FF on the forum. This only happens on the Webroot Forum. Other forums load normal with IE-8.
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 20 May 2013, 19:30

View original

73 replies

Userlevel 7
RWM wrote:
BTW, I didn't know Norton had a forum.  Jim and I discussed this perhaps a month or two ago and I thought we had concluded that Norton did not have a forum.
Oh no, they definitely have one.  I'm just not going to post the link to it.  :P  I actually know their community manager from an online community conference we both attend each year.  Actually I have a picture of that...

So here's an image you're probably not likely to see very often - Webroot and Norton employees standing together in harmony, lol :)

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I'm finding this site very slow to load today Win 7 FF 21 and it's only this site?

Daniel
Firefox and Win XP working Fast over here for this website. 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Good point - I had a brain fart :@

Anyway, if you post the error log, I can have a look.

If you find to be indecent please remove as I'm going offline for a few hours. ;)

Daniel
Userlevel 7
I might be able to fix that error. I'll look into it and get back to you. It's going to take some research. Thanks for posting it up. 🙂
Userlevel 7
I think I've got this fixed in the next push for you PTD. IE8 doesn't like certain javascript functions, and I've replaced them with ones it can use. We'll find out sometime Friday if that took care of it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I'm sorry Jim I have to click Report Inappropriate Content. :p

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hi Petr have a look here to see what the acronyms mean: http://www.netlingo.com/acronyms.php

Daniel
Userlevel 7
So, just to get back to the original question, PTD please let me know if this is fixed for you tomorrow around noon (or anytime thereafter). Thanks! 🙂
Userlevel 7
Actually PTD, that change didn't make it out in Thursday night's push. I had intended to mention that to you and forgot. When we had that downtime Friday morning, it became apparent that some of the stuff I had done Thursday didn't make it out on Friday. We'll be looking at next Wednesday now, but don't give up hope just yet.
Userlevel 7
Thanks Jim for trying. ;)
Running Firefox without any problems on the website. :D 
This computer was in the April 15th fiasco with MBAM corrupted update definitions. Did the fix that MBAM directed. It seems to have fixed the things that went wrong with the update. Maybe MBAM corrupted something in windows that the fix didn't fix. I'm going to try a reformat in the next few weeks ( just did one before the MBAM fiasco 😠 ). I'll give an update after the reformat.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
No problems with Opera or IE10 so I deleted all in FF and it seams fine now.

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hey Dave have a look at your IE addons and try to disable all and see if that helps then enable one at a time to find a possible slow loading addon.

Daniel
Userlevel 7
That didn't work. :(  I disabled all addons in IE, still loads slow. (Only this Forum)
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
That didn't work. :(  I disabled all addons in IE, still loads slow. (Only this Forum)
Did you delete all Browsing History including temp internet files?

Userlevel 7
Done that. I just ran WSA System Cleaner then a reboot. Same results only for this forum.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Sorry then I`m out of Idea`s as IE10 is working fine maybe a staff member can look at it on the forum side? Also when did it start acting up?
Userlevel 7
It started just about 2 weeks ago, give or take a few days.
Userlevel 7
Hi Mike.
Done what you stated, still the same.
Userlevel 7
Ran the Delete Browsing History. Forum still running slow on some posts.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Your Win 7 system is fine right?
Userlevel 7
Win 7 runs fine. This XP runs fine except on some posts on this forum. I remember I think it was last year when Norton switched forums. XP users had the same problem. Is this the same type forum as Norton?
Userlevel 7
Thanks Dave for this post because had I not read it I wouldn't realize that I had the same experience on my very old Acer laptop (almost from the stone age) which I gave to my grandmother. This laptop has XP with IE8.

I visited her a few weeks back and wanted to look at this forum and I have to say that browsing this forum was very very very slow. On the upside other sites loaded fine and reasonably quickly (considering the age of the laptop). This forum was clearly slower than other sites. True is that I didn't attach great importance to this slow browsing.

Sorry I cannot help you more because I don't have any XP machine available now.

However, I confirm your experience with the slow browsing of this forum on XP machines. Hope Webroot techies will solve it soon.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Sorry Jim no IE9 for XP have a look at your link.

Daniel
Userlevel 7
JimM wrote:Anyway, if you post the error log, I can have a look.

This is from the "Good Morning" thread:

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I did a little research, and it seems that a lot of Lithium-powered forums are having issues with XP machines over the past few weeks.
I've been having problems with the slowness on the Norton Forum also now. Maybe it is the Lithium-powered forums, they know Win XP is out the door next year. :(
I bought the Dell computer many years ago from QVC before Vista was released. It came with an "Express Upgrade to Windows Vista" DVD. I could do a upgrade from XP to Vista, but that may be like "jumping from the frying pan into the fire". :S
I'm still looking for a good New Win 7 Desktop, Win 8 tooooo many bugs from what I hear. 😉