Get Network Utility on macOS Ventura, Monterey, & Big Sur

• 21 December 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7

by: Paul Horowitz

Longtime Mac users who miss the Network Utility toolkit from nearly all prior versions of macOS may wish to bring it back to MacOS Ventura, macOS Monterey, and macOS Big Sur.

Alas, a working version of Network Utility is no longer found in the system location on modern MacOS versions that it was once, as Apple deprecated the popular networking tool for whatever reason.

If you happen to have an additional Mac running Catalina or earlier however, you can copy Network Utility from macOS Catalina to a Mac running Ventura, Big Sur, or Monterey, and get Network Utility working again, even on M1/M2 powered Macs.

★★ Full Article ★★

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

Excellent. I did not know this existed anymore. Going to check this out right now. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

Sorry, been out sick this week so I did not get a chance to try it. 

But I wonder if then right click and then Open would get around that limit. When an app gives that warning when trying to open, you should be able to right click it, and then select Open. A dialog will appear asking of you want to open it with a warning about it being form the web. Open is NOT the default button. But pressing Open should allow the app to open. I will try that when I get a chance to see if that is a simple workaround. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

Yes. You should be able to do it that way.

I actually used the port scan feature today when troubleshooting an issue with a WiFi network controller app which wouldn’t run due to a network port clash.

Confirmed. I copied the app from my old Mac, put it in the apps folder, applied the terminal command, right clicked, selected Open, and then Open in the dialog that popped up, and now it just works. After there first time opening, you can just double click it and it will open without right clicking. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Awesome. Well pleased to have this app back again!

Merry Christmas!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Great idea and I was hopeful, but it didn't work for me.

After following the steps, when I ran the app I get the error 

“Network Utility.app” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.”

Shame, I guess it’s just command line for me then.

@MajorHavoc did you try this yet?

@ProTruckDriver did you try this out when you posted it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

SCRAP last comment.

I’ve got it to work.

I just had to add a step and go into Security & Privacy prefs and manually ‘Allow’ the app to bypass Gatekeeper and then all good.

Super! I’m well pleased this works. Always loved this app as it was so quick and easy and great to show users the info without using command line.

Thanks @ProTruckDriver for posting.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes. You should be able to do it that way.

I actually used the port scan feature today when troubleshooting an issue with a WiFi network controller app which wouldn’t run due to a network port clash.