Get Windows 10 Notification Icon Removal

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies
As many people have discovered, today Microsoft launched an update that in association with update KB3035583 now places a icon in the notification area (next to the taskbar) to reserve your copy of Windows 10. This is a glorified Nag screen in that when you choose to hide this like you normally hide icons when not wanted, after you reboot it is back with all the same settings.

What this does is basically runs several processes via task scheduler and unless the original update was never installed it will continue to inject itself into the notification area.

There are two ways to stop this from happening.
  1. Uninstall the update KB3035583 from your system and also mark it as hidden so you won't be bothered every Tuesday when they push new updates. (Honestly I don't recommend this because there is no way of knowing how this will react when Windows 10 actually does launch. It may just fight with your system or just refuse to update it.
  2. This is the way I strongly recommend as it will cause ZERO conflicts and are easily reversed when Windows 10 is ready to launch. I have created a small instruction video to show how to stop this from happening. To access the disable screen you have to right click the item.
2) is located in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Task Scheduler and just follow the tree in the video.

Any questions please let me know and I will be happy to help out.

Instruction Video

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Thanks...while not so much a nuissance, there is no need to have the icon there so early. Cleared it fine!  RR
I agree completely. I am also a bit annoyed that Microsoft tried to force it by using a work around of their own features. What I mean by that is they created the option to Hide icons because many people requested it. Then Microsoft forces the icon and over rides the feature they created. I think that is sneaky and down right under handed. The advantage we have, at least for now is that they ether have to completely disable this feature (Hide) or allow us work around like this. Problem we have, as  users, is we may think this is a bug and annoyance but Microsoft loves it because it is doing exactly what they wanted it to do so they will just ignore peoples complaints.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi @,

Thank you for the video ..it's great if I want to remove it..but I like icons..:D I also like learning new things too.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Great Thanks @,

Reading it now!:D
There is a problem with those FAQ's Daniel. They state that "Click “Customize” in the System Tray and turn off the Get Windows 10 app notifications in the menu that comes up." Unfortunately with the task schedules running they reinject it so the icon reappears after reboot. My method however stops the reinjection.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Right Click on the Taskbar and click properties and........change as you like!

Daniel ;)

Reboot and watch it come right back. As long as those two items are scheduled in task scheduler the customize thing doesn't work. Try it and you will see for yourself.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Very true and I didn't even have to reboot as it showed up again! ;)

Daniel
microsoft really did a great job on this Nagware. However I am a tad bit more clever then they are. At least till they embed it somewhere I can't find it. hehehe
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
@ wrote:
As many people have discovered, today Microsoft launched an update that in association with update KB3035583 now places a icon in the notification area (next to the taskbar) to reserve your copy of Windows 10. This is a glorified Nag screen in that when you choose to hide this like you normally hide icons when not wanted, after you reboot it is back with all the same settings.

What this does is basically runs several processes via task scheduler and unless the original update was never installed it will continue to inject itself into the notification area.

There are two ways to stop this from happening.
  1. Uninstall the update KB3035583 from your system and also mark it as hidden so you won't be bothered every Tuesday when they push new updates. (Honestly I don't recommend this because there is no way of knowing how this will react when Windows 10 actually does launch. It may just fight with your system or just refuse to update it.
  2. This is the way I strongly recommend as it will cause ZERO conflicts and are easily reversed when Windows 10 is ready to launch. I have created a small instruction video to show how to stop this from happening. To access the disable screen you have to right click the item.
2) is located in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Task Scheduler and just follow the tree in the video.

Any questions please let me know and I will be happy to help out.

Instruction Video
Thanks for the useful guide @ and this article at ghacks confirms your solution. Although I usually like to take a look at new MS OSs, I'm reluctant to 'plunge' early into W10 as my usual OS, and may hold off at least for some months.

I never saw that KB also anyway, and don't usually opt for "recommended" updates. 😃