Getting the same virus over and over, norton is completely useless

• 20 July 2013
  • 6 replies

Hello everyone, I am fairly good with computers and have gotten a virus which keeps coming back.

My computer was working fine, and then I got a virus which messes up the screen, meaning shows a pattern of my screen warped and shrunk and this pattern covers the screen, then gets a blue screen in dos, and lastly shuts off the computer a few seconds after. This shut-down is similar to for example, pulling the plug, then when I try to turn on the computer, before it gets to windows, it repeatedly shuts down every time. Sometimes when I get to windows it will not stay very long, or at least long enough for me to do a virus scan. I am sure this is a new virus.

TO EVERYONE WHO THINKS I HAVE A POWER SUPPLY PROBLEM  BECAUSE ITS SUMMER: I tried taking out my hard drive, removing the cables, then i turned on my computer without a hard drive on, it stayed on for several hours, and then i shut it down by pressing the button.

I tried to delete partitions and make new ones, and then format and put windows, but i got the same exact virus. So I was thinking next time I will skip the "connect to the wifi internet, ..... part of setup" and this is where my question comes in.............. Is there a way for me to install and possibly update manually, in offline mode, like if i were to get webroot installer offline so I am prepared and "ready for action" when I turn on the internet?

If this post is moved, please kindly send me a private message, as I was not sure where to put it, and if you need more details just ask and I will write more.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello belthagor and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums.

Do you have WSA installed? If you do boot into Safe Mode with Networking and do a scan if you can and please report back! If not you need to be connect to the internet to install WSA.

Also if it is a virus it can hide in memory so I would power down your system completely and by the sounds of it you have a tower and you have to pull the battery from the Mother Board for a few minutes and push the the start button a few times, also is there anyway you can scan the hard drives on another well protected computer via a USB Hard Drive Dock?

Thanks,

TH
I should mention that I tried going to safe mode with networking, and after I got to windows, a little while passed and I came to a blue screen, and then the computer shut off.

Second, in order to scan my hard drive as a second drive on another computer, the only easy way (I think not sure this will work) is to dismantle an external hard drive I have and put my hard drive in it's place. Because the external hard drive has cable hard drive signal/power to usb.

Third, what is WSA exactly and where can I get it, please give me a link here or by private message if it is not allowed on the forums, and do I have to be online while I do the scan, oh also can I scan in safe mode?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hi WSA is short for Webroot SecureAnywhere and you can sign up for a free trial here just choose your flavor: http://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/products/trials

And you do need to be online to install WSA as it needs to contact the Cloud to verify installation.

"Second, in order to scan my hard drive as a second drive on another computer, the only easy way (I think not sure this will work) is to dismantle an external hard drive I have and put my hard drive in it's place. Because the external hard drive has cable hard drive signal/power to usb."

If you can it would be best or a friend with a hard drive dock or something similar.

Please let us know the outcome.

TH
Rats, I dont have the external hard drive at home, I only have a small version of it, so I cant really swap hard drives, I have the kind that is smaller than an actual hard drive.

I am thinking I will delete partitions, make new, and format, which WSA tool do you recommend? I have windows 7 and my gaming pc specifically keeps shutting down due to this virus. its very fast computer, so I am looking for the strongest tool.

While I repartition and format, do you recommend anything I should do, since you said virus can hide in memory, and some other stuff
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
It depends on what your looking for AV version, Plus version adds Password Manager and Complete adds Password Manager, Back Up & Sync and System Analyzer! But yes just power down unplug and pull battery for a few minutes in case it's in the Memory and push the start button a few times to drain all power put battery back in and install windows and then install WSA and please report back with your results!

TH

EDIT: I use the Complete version and it's only a 725kb Download installs in a minute or 2 and uses 2 to 6MB RAM it is the lightest on the system please see here: http://community.webroot.com/t5/Security-Industry-News/Webroot-Tops-PassMark-Software-s-latest-test-April-26-2013/m-p/38092#M1572
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hi @ have you got things up and running and any sign of infection?

TIA,

TH