Google and Mozilla are working on iOS browsers that break current App Store rules

• 7 February 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

Currently, all iOS and iPadOS browsers need to use the same engine as Safari.

ANDREW CUNNINGHAM - 2/7/2023

Companies like Google, Mozilla, and Microsoft have versions of their web browsers on Apple's iOS and iPadOS App Stores, but these versions come with a big caveat: The App Store rules require them to use Safari's WebKit rendering engine rather than the engines those browsers use in other operating systems.

But that could be changing. According to The Register, Google and Mozilla have recently been spotted working on versions of Chromium and Firefox that use their normal Blink and Gecko rendering engines, respectively.

>> Full Article <<

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

I have mixed feelings about all this. On one hand, I get why companies want to circumvent Apple’s restrictive policies. On the other hand, those policies make my iOS device MUCH MORE SECURE!

I think if Apple wants to open this up, or is required to, there should be a setting on my phone that lets me choose to keep those restrictions, even if it means I cannot use some apps. One of the reasons iOS devices are not compromised as often as Android devices is Apple’s restrictive policies on apps and systems.  Once side loading and 3rd party stores are allowed, this opens the iPhone up to all kinds of possible “nasty” software that will expose private info. I am less worried about one app effecting others as I suspect Apple will not change the app sandboxing, which also prevents apps from attacking others. But access to personal info, location, and the like is a very different story. 

Be interesting to watch this play out.  Meanwhile, if you want a browser that does not use Apple’s WebKit, try Puffin. Puffin basically runs the browser on a cloud machine and sends you the “screen” to view. It works amazingly well if you have a decent connection, including videos. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

Be interesting to watch this play out.  Meanwhile, if you want a browser that does not use Apple’s WebKit, try Puffin. Puffin basically runs the browser on a cloud machine and sends you the “screen” to view. It works amazingly well if you have a decent connection, including videos. 

I agree will be interesting. Clearly these companies are doing it so they can collect more data to sell. Good to know about puffin, never knew about it

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

Good to know about puffin, never knew about it

However, I have no idea what data they collect, but when you hit something on iOS that displayed incorrectly, this is one way to view it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I have mixed feelings too here. Will have to see how it goes. 

Will look into puffin too as not used that before.