Google finally release 'Switch to Android' app for iOS

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It’s taken 6 years but Google have finally released a new iOS app "Switch to Android," a counterpart to Apple's "Move to iOS" app for moving important user data from an iPhone to an Android smartphone.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/22/04/17/google-takes-six-years-to-copy-apple-in-releasing-switch-to-android-app-for-ios

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Absolutely Love it. I had to switch back to Apple phone briefly while I waited for my Android to get fixed on the insurance and whilst I loved some features it didnt outweigh the pain. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

I have crossed back and forth a few times and this is well overdue. Anyone try it yet? Be curious given Apple’s strong security just how well it works. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes. Would be interesting to hear a real experience. I don’t own any android phones and all my close relatives are iPhone users too. If I hear of anyone using it I’ll post and comment

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Nice article. I didn’t know that either service existed until reading this.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

I was also unaware. I will say though that one of the big reasons I never switched years ago was the pain of moving everything over. Apple makes it so easy to go from phone to phone that the thought of trying to switch to an entirely new platform just wasn’t worth it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I was also unaware. I will say though that one of the big reasons I never switched years ago was the pain of moving everything over. Apple makes it so easy to go from phone to phone that the thought of trying to switch to an entirely new platform just wasn’t worth it. 

I have never been a Samsung user due to the fear of it being less locked down and so in turn potentially getting malware.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

I have never been a Samsung user due to the fear of it being less locked down and so in turn potentially getting malware.

These days I would agree. I considered a switch from Apple to Android a few years back due to what I felt was a stagnant product line from Apple. These days I am more than happy with what they are putting out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Wish this app existed when I made the switch to Android! There were a lot of bumps in the road.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Wish this app existed when I made the switch to Android! There were a lot of bumps in the road.

I bet. I’ve never switched from iPhone because I can’t be bothered with the hassle!

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

me either! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes, the Android to Apple one has been around for a while. I used it a couple of years ago to migrate my mother-in-law’s data from her horrific HTC phone to an iPhone. The App worked flawlessly. Only issue was WhatsApp as the Android one backs up to Google and the apple one to iCloud so she lost all her WhatsApp conversations.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I bet. I’ve never switched from iPhone because I can’t be bothered with the hassle!

The worst part I recall was SMS. There was some trick to unregistering my phone number from Apple iMessage so I could get texts on my Android phone.