Google forms council on ‘right to be forgotten’

• 15 July 2014
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
15 July 2014 By Graeme Philipson

Following a European ruling that individuals have a ‘right to be forgotten’ on the Internet, Google has formed a high profile advisory council to help it remember what to do.

A ruling by the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) in May found that European law gives people the right to ask search engines like Google to remove results for queries that include their name.

The ruling is tricky for Google, which uses complex algorithms to search all websites, regardless of how current or accurate they are. Since the ruling was made, Google’s European operation has received 70,000 take-down requests covering 250,000 webpages containing “all sorts of content: serious criminal records, embarrassing photos, instances of online bullying and name-calling, decades-old allegations, negative press stories, and more.”

Full Article

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I'm wondering how they're going to manage all of this long term.  This is going to end up being one heck of a long exclusion list.  And what happens if someone reposts the info that you want forgotten?
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I'm wondering how they're going to manage all of this long term.  This is going to end up being one heck of a long exclusion list.  And what happens if someone reposts the info that you want forgotten?
I second what nic has stated.................... you have millions of data not to mentioned how many web sites and web pages with data upon data.............this is a monumental task which I personnaly believe it can't be done effectively
Userlevel 5
yea my take on this is it's dumb legislation written by idiots who only have the vaguest comprehension how the internet works
Userlevel 7
@Antus67 wrote:
@ wrote:
I second what nic has stated.................... you have millions of data not to mentioned how many web sites and web pages with data upon data.............this is a monumental task which I personnaly believe it can't be done effectively
Its another case of "buyer beware" Anyone who wants to be "forgotten" has to constantly search and find those who have reposted. My spin on it is that Google want to look like they care and doing something, which obviously can only be policed by the people who want to be forgotten. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
There's actually an industry that has sprung up around this. You can hire these guys:
http://www.reputation.com/
To keep an eye on the web about your name and send requests for removal of unfavorable information.

Userlevel 7
Now that is a interesting point of view, I presume they would have to watch 24/7 to make sure nothing slips through.