Google has released Chrome 37 64-bit to stable channel

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Neowin

Google's popular web browser, Chrome, has a new version out for you to download, it's 64-bit (yes, 64-bit). The updated browser is now available for Windows, OS X and Linux users and includes updates to how fonts look on Windows and an updated password manager.
For Windows users, the best part of this update will be the support for DirectWrite, for improved font rendering which will make browsing the web even better; there are also a number of new apps/extension APIs and other stability improvements as well.

http://www.neowin.net/news/google-has-released-chrome-37-64-bit-to-stable-channel

I wonder if WSA will support 64bit Browsers such as this one in the near future? @ @ @ 

Thanks,

Daniel 😉

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Good article Daniel, since I have a 64 bit pc this is a welcoming additiion
Userlevel 7
The new rendering is far better and clearer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Thanks Roy good to know!

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I checked and we're not supporting it yet, but we're working on it.  So don't switch over yet if you're using the extensions.
Userlevel 7
Hi Nic, I was just going to ask that question...so thanks for beating me to it.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I checked and we're not supporting it yet, but we're working on it.  So don't switch over yet if you're using the extensions.
I will try on a VM Win 8.1 x64 and I'm sure the Identity Shield will still protect it as other 64 bit Browsers are but I will check and post back!

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Nice one, Daniel...will be interesting to see what your test reveals...;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Well here is what I got but I didn't test the Password manager as I don't have it setup for my VM's and I had to Drag and Drop to get the Extensions installed and worked well. To me you get the same protection as the 32bit version at this point! Tested on Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.

Daniel ;)

I also noted that it's still installed in Program Files (x86).

Also nice Memory usage compared to the 32bit version!

This is from my Win 7 64bit with the latest 32bit Chrome version and look at the memory usage.

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello TripleHelix...

Thanks so much for all the illustrations provided. I'm more impressed all the time while learning from you all!!

Salute':D
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Well I installed it on my Win 7 64bit main system and Win 8 doesn't show all the Memory??? But they are 64bit processes as if you look in the main post it says chrome.exe*32

Daniel

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
:8 Well I updated Chrome yesterday...On my Mac..I haven't got to the Windows PC yet...

Userlevel 7
It's definetely running as a 64bit process on my PC. 

Userlevel 2
Hi guys.

Another thing I've observed is that WRusr.dll is no longer injected into 64-bit chrome.exe processes, probably because it is not 64-bit compatible. I wonder if and how this affects protection.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Maybe Roy can check this out? @

Thanks,

Daniel
Greetings,

I'm new to this forum and just installed Chrome 64.

My understanding is that WSA utilizes the very old Netscape Plugin API to provide browser protection and identity protection. Chrome 64 does not support NPAPI and later this year google will drop NPAPI support from the 32 bit version of Chrome -- at that point WSA would not work with any up-to-date version of Chrome.

Rewriting WSA to utilize a different API would be a major undertaking. Is there any indication of when we can expect a compatible release?

Thanks,
John

Userlevel 7
Hi FifthDiscipline

Welcome to the Community Forums.

A very interesting question that I think is one for Product Management/Development...so wondering if you would do the honours here @ @ ?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Greetings,

I'm new to this forum and just installed Chrome 64.

My understanding is that WSA utilizes the very old Netscape Plugin API to provide browser protection and identity protection. Chrome 64 does not support NPAPI and later this year google will drop NPAPI support from the 32 bit version of Chrome -- at that point WSA would not work with any up-to-date version of Chrome.

Rewriting WSA to utilize a different API would be a major undertaking. Is there any indication of when we can expect a compatible release?

Thanks,
John

Hello John and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

All I can say that the Webroot Developers are working on it as they knew this was coming and we currently have issues with the latest Chrome and WSA's Web Shield Filter forcing users to download the extension from the Chrome store: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/webroot-filtering-extensi/kjeghcllfecehndceplomkocgfbklffd

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hi guys.

Another thing I've observed is that WRusr.dll is no longer injected into 64-bit chrome.exe processes, probably because it is not 64-bit compatible. I wonder if and how this affects protection.

Also there are 2 WRusr.dll's and I assume one of them is 64bit. And injecting into Chrome processes we can ask @  to ask the right person to confirm. 

Daniel ;)

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the replies. Besides WSA'a superb zero-day capabilities, one feature that I have always highly appreciated is the identity shield - I frankly feel naked without it. As Daniel noted, google's API changes have been planned and publicly announced for a long time. Hopefully the Webroot developers will have a solution in place soon.

Thanks again,

John
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the replies. Besides WSA'a superb zero-day capabilities, one feature that I have always highly appreciated is the identity shield - I frankly feel naked without it. As Daniel noted, google's API changes have been planned and publicly announced for a long time. Hopefully the Webroot developers will have a solution in place soon.

Thanks again,

John
The Identity Shield still works on Chrome 64bit as I posted earlier as well the Web Shield it just doesn't show check marks for searches unless you get the Web Shield from the Chrome Store: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Techie/Google-has-released-Chrome-37-64-bit-to-stable-channel/m-p/143361#M5646

Thanks,

Daniel ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I'll see what I can find out!
Userlevel 7
Thanks for the heads-up Daniel!  Guess I have some updating to do when I get home 😛
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Also what I did was deleted the Web Filter Extension in Chrome and went to the Chrome store and installed it from there: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/webroot-filtering-extensi/kjeghcllfecehndceplomkocgfbklffd

Daniel 😉