Google removes Plugin controls from Chrome

Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Google made a change in Chrome 57 that removes options from the browser to manage plugins such as Google Widevine, Adobe Flash, or the Chrome PDF Viewer.

If you load chrome://plugins in Chrome 56 or earlier, a list of installed plugins is displayed to you. The list includes information about each plugin, including a name and description, location on the local system, version, and options to disable it or set it to "always run".

You can use it to disable plugins that you don't require. While you can do the same for some plugins, Flash and PDF Viewer, using Chrome's Settings, the same is not possible for the DRM plugin Widevine, and any other plugin Google may add to Chrome in the future.

Starting with Chrome 57, that option is no longer available. This means essentially that Chrome users won't be able to disable -- some -- plugins anymore, or even list the plugins that are installed in the web browser.

Please note that this affects Google Chrome and Chromium.
Full Article

so bad....:@

15 replies

Yet another reason for me to NOT use Chrome. I've been weighing my browser options lately as it seems that FF has been very wonky lately, but I'm still in the Firefox camp for now. Chrome needs to start giving users MORE granular control of the browser, not less. I honestly don't think Google respects anyone's privacy, either. Chrome does run very smoothly, though. I'll give it that.

BD
Userlevel 7
Badge +52
@ wrote:
Yet another reason for me to NOT use Chrome. I've been weighing my browser options lately as it seems that FF has been very wonky lately, but I'm still in the Firefox camp for now. Chrome needs to start giving users MORE granular control of the browser, not less. I honestly don't think Google respects anyone's privacy, either. Chrome does run very smoothly, though. I'll give it that.

BD
i use Cent browser;)
http://centbrowser.com/
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
BD
I haven't had any problems with Firefox at all recently - in fact I only commented the other day that it has been more stable than ever on my laptop. I would not use Chrome because of the privacy issues.
Userlevel 7
Badge +52
@ wrote:
I would not use Chrome because of the privacy issues.
firefox privacy provide a ton of settings – much more than in chrome ;)
useful extension
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/privacy-settings/
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
useful extension
Thanks Petr! I'm checking this out now...
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
useful extension
Thank you Petr, I have it installed now but will look better later on tonight.
@ wrote:
BD
I haven't had any problems with Firefox at all recently - in fact I only commented the other day that it has been more stable than ever on my laptop. I would not use Chrome because of the privacy issues.
Hi Nemo,

Lately, on my Windows 10 laptop, Firefox has been crashing a lot on me. It could very well be something unique to my system, I'm not sure. They have been pushing out an unusually high number of updates lately, it seems. I also use "Classic Theme Restorer" so maybe that is causing problems. It's been running well on my Windows 7 desktop, though. I'm still a huge fan of FF and will most likely stay with it, I just wish it were a little snappier, like it used to be, and like Chrome is now. But in terms of privacy, I agree that Firefox is far better than Chrome in that regard. ;)

BD
Userlevel 7

Userlevel 7
Badge +52
@ wrote:

tin foil hat?
:D

Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Lately, on my Windows 10 laptop, Firefox has been crashing a lot on me. It could very well be something unique to my system, I'm not sure. They have been pushing out an unusually high number of updates lately, it seems. I also use "Classic Theme Restorer" so maybe that is causing problems. It's been running well on my Windows 7 desktop, though. I'm still a huge fan of FF and will most likely stay with it, I just wish it were a little snappier, like it used to be, and like Chrome is now. But in terms of privacy, I agree that Firefox is far better than Chrome in that regard. ;) 
BD
Well I use FF on my W7 system and have to say I find it snappy enough for me although I can't compare with Chrome. Do you use many extensions? I restrict mine to six or seven which may help in responsiveness. I don't for example use Classic Theme Restorer and just go with the flow as to the latest appearance that Mozilla come up with. I quite like the rounded tab corners!

Nemo
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
BD
Well I use FF on my W7 system and have to say I find it snappy enough for me although I can't compare with Chrome. Do you use many extensions? I restrict mine to six or seven which may help in responsiveness. I don't for example use Classic Theme Restorer and just go with the flow as to the latest appearance that Mozilla come up with. I quite like the rounded tab corners!

Nemo
Well if we are talking about FF. I find no issues running FF with 3 of my W 10 as my default browser. It's pretty snappy and without crashes. I do use Chrome when needed for here and what not. I don't have that many extensions running though..
@ wrote:

Do you use many extensions?
I do use 8 or 9 extensions, but I always have in the past without issue. The FF crashes have abated lately, but were happening frequently for a period of a couple of weeks. Things seem ok now, although FF tends to hang every once in a while. It could also be my older laptop. It's only a dual-core with 4GB RAM. Would really like a new laptop but that probably won't happen until my kids leave home (darn they're expensive :)).
BD

Userlevel 7
@ Yes kids are very expensive, but enjoy the moment while they are at home. They do grow up fast. Your "Empty Nest" time will come. Colleen and I are sure enjoying it! :D

@ wrote:
@ Yes kids are very expensive, but enjoy the moment while they are at home. They do grow up fast. Your "Empty Nest" time will come. Colleen and I are sure enjoying it! :D

I hear you, Dave. Don't get me wrong. I'm not wishing or looking forward to the day they're gone, it's going way too fast as it is. I just wish that the minuscule raises I get could keep up with the cost-of-living. I've actually been losing money for the last few years. It's hard to get ahead enough to be able to buy a new laptop. 😞 (Been looking for a second job, though, so hopefully that will change.) But I'm not complaining, some people don't even get raises. Depending on our next contract, I may not get any either.

BD
Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Chrome 57 Will Permanently Enable DRM
The next stable version of Chrome (Chrome 57) will not allow users to disable the Widevine DRM plugin anymore, therefore making it an always-on, permanent feature of Chrome. The new version of Chrome will also eliminate the “chrome://plugins” internal URL, which means if you want to disable Flash, you’ll have to do it from the Settings page.
Full Article