Google to sell Glass to public next week

• 11 April 2014
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
San Francisco Newsroom wrote:

Google co-founder Sergey Brin walks the runway wearing new product ''Glass by Google'' after the Diane von Furstenberg Spring/Summer 2013 collection show during New York Fashion Week September 9, 2012.

Google Inc will take online orders for its Glass wearable gadget on April 15, in its biggest push to get the $1,500 wraparound Web-ready glasses out to the U.S. public.

For a limited time starting Tuesday, Google will make the wearable device available to more than just the select group of users such as apps developers in its Glass Explorer program.

In a blogpost, Google did not say how many pairs it would sell, just that the quantity would be limited.
Read here.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
One upon a time I might have considered buying one, but now that the hype has died down I think I'll use that money for something else 🙂
Userlevel 7
The following is a updated article on Google Glass

"Quote" / Will Google Glass ever appeal to a mainstream audience? [Poll]

By/ By Wayne Williams Posted on June 29 2014

Google Glass is available to purchase in both the US and UK now, although the high asking price ($1,500/£1,000) will certainly put off many potential buyers, as will the news that if Google decides to make a change to the specs’ specs in the future (as it did this week, doubling the memory to improve performance), existing users will have to pay full price to get their hands on the latest model.
But price and lack of future proofing may not be the wearable’s biggest problems. A friend of mine who tried Glass out said the device made him feel like a futuristic cyborg, but look like a massive geek. And that could be a huge stumbling block. In June, mobile App Performance Management (mAPM) firm Crittercism commissioned an online Harris Poll survey among over 2,000 US adults aged 18+ and found that of those who were interested in wearable technology twice as many (54 percent) said they would opt for a smartwatch rather than computing glasses (26 percent).

betanews/ full read here/ http://betanews.com/2014/06/29/will-google-glass-ever-appeal-to-a-mainstream-audience-poll/

Userlevel 7
Given the price, and some challenges that remain, I am still not sold on the Glass at all.  Perhaps in the future... but not at this time.  Just the fact that Google would be with me, possible tracking not just roughly where I am but what I LOOK at, ALL the time, is rather a huge drawback for me...
Userlevel 7
That is a scary thought that Google can and would trackiing you anywhere at any time. If I did wear them there would be two places I would take them off.

1. The Bedroom :D
2. The Bathroom :D

You have to laugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Userlevel 7
@Antus67 wrote:
That is a scary thought that Google can and would trackiing you anywhere at any time. If I did wear them there would be two places I would take them off.

ROFL!

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
This is  the funniest!! Absouletly correct!!
@DavidP1970 wrote:
@Antus67 wrote:

ROFL!

:D ROFL
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
If they were cheaper I might consider it.  I still have yet to try one though, so hopefully the general sale will mean they are available in retails stores to play with.