Google Unveils Self-Driving Car Prototype

Userlevel 7
Google Unveils Self-Driving Car Prototype
End of retrofits? Google has built a completely self-driving car from the ground up.

RANCHOS PALOS VERDES, Calif. — Google has been building self-driving cars for years, but what we've seen so far has always been retrofits of existing cars — until now. The search giant unveiled on Tuesday a fully autonomous self-driving car, built from the ground up by Google and its partners. Full Story @ Mashable.com

Now *this* scares me more than trying some of that BBQ sauce that IBM's Watson cooked up!

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Does this mean the end of idle chit chat to the taxi driver on the way home from the nightclub?

Shocking news!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
😃 Cute car ..  @ ...yiou plan on getting one to drive to the office and back...Lol  Google Unveils Self-Driving Car Prototype

:D
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Does this mean the end of idle chit chat to the taxi driver on the way home from the nightclub?

Shocking news!
I don't see why it would... if it can drive I'm sure it can handle idle chit-chat
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I don't care how it looks, I'll be getting one!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Why are you so funny? ROFL: )
Userlevel 7
I wouldn't Nic, not unless Webroot SecureAnywhere does mean ANYWHERE and can protect the car from hackers...who know where you would end up as a result of falling victim to a DoS attck, or the like? ;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
This article about what the car looks like made me chuckle:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/05/28/totoro_a_koala_and_11_other_things_google_self_driving_car_prototype_looks.html
Userlevel 7
To quote Top Gear UK: "a grimacing robot mouse"
Userlevel 7
Wouldn't pay too much attention to the knobs on Top Gear...have a vastly over inflated view of their worth. 
Userlevel 7
I watch them for the comedy 😃
Userlevel 7
Well, they used to be funny but now they are just rude and boring...IMHO...especially the tall git with the attitude.
Userlevel 7
Clarkson?
Userlevel 7
Yup, that's the idiot.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
What you are so explicit with that statement LOL
Userlevel 7
Or as you say in England - pillock, right?
Userlevel 7
Pillock doesn't cover it by half...but you are on the right lines.  But enough about him...LOL.
Userlevel 7
😛
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
This article about what the car looks like made me chuckle:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/05/28/totoro_a_koala_and_11_other_things_google_self_driving_car_prototype_looks.html
Good article Nic!  Me personally, I think it looks like a mouse...  no, the other kind of mouse :D
Userlevel 4
Indeed, but I find the little tikes cozy coupe also pretty spot-on 😃
Userlevel 7
Well, it certainly is not a BMW, BMW...;)
Userlevel 7

Sad, but true. A BMW it is not.

I actually saw one of its predecessors cruising around near the school recently. Maybe they're looking to cut costs by eliminating the 2 person team that they currently use.

Anybody looking for a job in Zurich?
Program Manager, Street View Operations »

Userlevel 4
@ wrote:
Well, it certainly is not a BMW, BMW...;)
Haha, very true.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
The Onion has some fun joking at the self driving car's expense:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/would-you-use-a-selfdriving-car,36172/
Userlevel 7
The following article is a update

Self-Driving Cars Vulnerable to Cyberattack, Experts Warn.

Hackers pose a real danger to self-driving vehicles, US experts are warning, and carmakers and insurers are starting to factor in the risk.
Expected on the road by 2020 or even sooner, driverless cars should have a wide range of cutting-edge technologies such as electronic sensors -- a group of cameras, radar, sonar and LiDAR (light detection and ranging) -- commanded remotely using software that senses road widths, identifies signs and even roadblocks.
But like connected vehicles and their onboard multimedia systems, these new self-driving technology elements -- which were meant to make the cars safe and reliable, could end up leaving them vulnerable to hacker strikes, according to US security firms Mission Secure Inc (MSi) and Perrone Robotics Inc.

full article