Solved

Hacked Outlook email account

• 31 December 2019
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

Can someone tell me what steps I need to take as my email account got hacked over Christmas and I suspect password.

I realised I had been hacked when my Netflix account wouldn’t let me log into it.  My sister in law’s email account was hacked on Christmas day and I suspect my email address was sourced from that incident as it was only two days after when my email went whakko.

I’m concerned and not sure what steps I have to take in order to get back control of my emails and whatever other accounts that have been taken over.  

Does this sort of attack leave spy software on my computer so that it can access any passwords etc. that I type in on this computer.

I do have Webroot SecureAnywhere on my computer but that didn’t seem to help.

Look forward to receiving some responses to assist my next steps.

Kind regards

EK

icon

Best answer by Sheltieuk 2 January 2020, 09:08

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hey there @EKapiteyn ,

I’m sorry to hear about your issue losing access to your email! Have you run a virus scan with Webroot? If you’re not finding viruses with that scan, it’s more likely that your password was simply guessed or stolen from a data breach. 

My suggestion to you is attempting to recover that email through recovery questions. Afterwards, changing that old password to a stronger one is advisable. 

Let me know if you have more details or questions! 

Good luck!

-Keenan

Badge +2

Hi Keenan

Thanks for your advice I have already changed the password on my email account but not sure they haven’t put some sort of spyware on my computer because a few days later my email account got suspended by Telstra because a large amount of traffic emails were being sent out from my bigpond account.

I have run the Webroot SecureAnywhere scan several times over my computer - is this the virus checker you are referring to.

I’m wondering whether I am required to get a tech to check out my computer.  Bit nervous because I do everything online.

Regards

Erica

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@EKapiteyn Have you checked your email accounts on this website:- https://haveibeenpwned.com/  it will tell you if they have been involved in a data breach and where, which is the most likely cause of your problems. If they have been breached in this way your best course of action is to delete these existing accounts and set up new ones. I’ve had to do this with one of my accounts recently due to a data breach on adobe.com.

Badge +2

Thanks Sheltieuk - I have taken your advice and checked the suggested website and unfortunately my email came up.  When this happened to you did you follow their suggestion and set up 1Password software and if so have you had any problems with it.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Thanks Sheltieuk - I have taken your advice and checked the suggested website and unfortunately my email came up.  When this happened to you did you follow their suggestion and set up 1Password software and if so have you had any problems with it.

No, I didn’t start using 1Password software, I use Roboform Password Manager and 2 factor authorisation where possible. I would set up a new email address and delete the old one if I were you, as your old address will now be on loads of spammers lists and you’ll start receiving  loads of spam emails.