Helop with the extortion web page scam, please.

• 1 November 2013
  • 5 replies

Hello,

I use the webroot internet security version of webroot.

My question is:

How do I know if the "pay us money to unlock your computer" webpage (virus/trojan) has been fully deleted?

My situation is:

I contracted this virus/trojan today. Webroot apparently didn't catch it. although my computer was locked up. (taskmanager would not work) I was able to "log off" and restart my computer. I then ran webroot; it detected nothing. then I ran spybot; it dectected something and I deleted it. then I downloaded malawarebyte and it dectected something and I deleted it.

I have rebooted twice since then and everything seems fine. I also reran webroot scan and nothing appeared.

So, does that mean that my computer is safe or is this something that lurks around and causes mayhem later?

I am concerned as I use this computer for financial transactions, periodically.

Thank you in advance for your help and as you can probably tell I am not a sophisticated computer person.

Thanks!

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello al60 and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums.

Please Submit a Support Ticket right away so support can help you fix this up free of Charge!

Daniel
I will do that. thank you for your help and guidance.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Anytime that's what we are here for and now that you are here stick around as this is a great please to learn and meet new Great people! 😉 Please let us know the outcome!

Thanks,

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Definitely contact Webroot. They will be able to see why this wasn't caught.
Also, be aware that Webroot implements journaling - so it may have already detected there was something iffy and was ready to revert everything already. Usually Webroot support should be your first line of contact because of this. Resolution of your issue may just be one click away for them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ do you have any update was the support inbox able to sorted out for you?

Thanks,

Daniel