HELP! Website Search?

Userlevel 6
Badge +23
I all!

Hurry!  Can anyone help me please, I'm trying to search my website history for some very important content that was on a particular site to which I've forgotten the address.  I had visited the site many times during May/June of 2012 but can't seem to find how to do it.  Can the site history go back that far and how do I search?  I've tried putting in a few key words but these search the whole website and not my history.  Help, I need to find it fast!

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Good morning Linda,

I know in my own case trying to locate something in my browser history from that far back would be simply not possible.  Anyone that uses IE and a clearner like the System Optimizer in WSA, or a standalone tool like CCleaner will have the history emptied: that is the purpose of those programs. 

Never clearing the history, just like never clearing the cache, leads to performance and security problems, so cache cleaners are generally set to delete the history by default as well.
Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Does e-mail get deleted after a time too?!
Userlevel 6
Badge +23
... can you set things so as to never delete the browser history?
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
In my case I've got email saved back to 2007 with MSN .Hope this helps your situation!:D
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
No, not in any browser cache clearner that I have used.  Email only gets deleted when you delete it IF you are using a service like Yahoo or Gmail in which it is web based and stored by the service.

If you use email from your ISP and a program like Outlook that actually downloads the messages, they are removed from the ISP server when you download them, but they remain on your own hard drive until either you delete them, or you have to format the hard drive or re-install Windows.
Userlevel 6
Badge +23
.. is there any way to retrieve the lost history?
Userlevel 7
I doubt you would have browser history going back two years that hasnt been cleaned. Emails shouldnt be deleted automatically unless you are using some ISP email service that cleans really old emails out. Any half decent email service (Hotmail,Gmail) will keep emails for as long as you want them.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
... can you set things so as to never delete the browser history?
Yes, most cleaners, like WSA System Optimizer, do allow you do select what data is cleaned and what is retained.  You can set it to not clear the history though this is NOT reccomended for a number of reasons including privacy/security.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
.. is there any way to retrieve the lost history?
Not that I know of 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello LoopyLinda... If this is any consolation but if I want to save a webpage I save it to my Favorites...;) And then back up my Favorites evry so often!