Here's a question for Windows Phone

• 21 August 2014
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 5
When will Windows Phone get Webroot because i'm worried about my new T-Mobile Nokia Lumia 635?

And i'm back! And i'm serious now ;)

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I don't know of any plans to have it come to Windows phone, but I'll double-check.  Congrats on the new phone and welcome back!
Userlevel 5
Thanks dude 🙂
Userlevel 5
Another question: Does windows phone have Malware in their store
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Not sure on that one.  I haven't read up on Windows phone much.

Userlevel 5
Ok
Userlevel 7
To be honest Nic I think that I can safely say that this has been an oft discussed subject and there are in fact a couple of feature requests open, and well commented on.  The consensus is that it is unlikely in the short term as malware is unlikely to penetrate/run under the Windows Phone OS as the kernel is locked down tight a la iPhone, etc.

This one is from TripleHelix:

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Ideas-Exchange/Windows-7-8-Mobile-Phone-OS-Security-App/idi-p/17270

Also the Windows Phone is relatively small currently and therefore as a market is probably not really viable...yet if there was a need.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Good to know, thanks Baldrick!
Userlevel 5
I've seen a lot of fake apps on android and windows phone, i don't feel safe but I don't like being locked down either
Userlevel 7
Well, Ryan, all I can honestly say to that is that you cannot have your cake and eat it...I have had a Windows Phone for a long time, and have never come across any malicious apps from the Windows Marketplace in all that time.

As for locking down the kernel...it is a technique that is becoming more popular, and in fact MS do so in terms of some aspects of Windows 8...certainly more so than in previous OS versions.  In phone terms it just means that in practice your phone remains a phone rather than being able to be a pocket computer aswas the case with Windows Mobile, and Windows CE before it...at what a pain that could be to the uninitiated (and I certainlynwas one who learnt that the hard way...LOL ;)) 
Userlevel 5
Ok :))))) so many chins lol