hi I am not good at tech things, so I am wondering if anybody knows if I can save my media pl.pix

• 14 January 2016
  • 18 replies

Userlevel 2
Hi
I am thinking of updating to windows 10, but am afraid I will lose all my pix on Media player.  Is there a way to save them before updating.  Also, is 10 that good, or since I don't "work" using my laptop should I just stick with 7 ?:womanfrustrated:

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi petsitter95,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

Windows 10 is a worthwhile update. I would advise updating while the update is still free. Soon Windows 7 will not be supported by Microsoft. I have Windows 10 on 2 PCs and I love it.

But yes here is a video that explains how to transfer your pictures to a USB drive.

I think that would be the easiest Unless you have an external hard drive to back up your pictures.  That would be great. So please have a look here

Maybe others on the Forum can chime in and give you some good advice,

Hope this helps?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Well since Windows 7 will be supported till January 14, 2020: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle?C2=14019&wa=wsignin1.0 and you have less than 6 months to install Windows 10 Upgrade for free I would say yes but back up all photo's and anything you need to a USB stick or burn to a CD/DVD then do the upgrade and if you don't like it within 30 days you can go back to Windows 7. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-10/upgrade-to-windows-10-faq and to go back to Windows 7: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-10/going-back-to-windows-7-or-windows-81

HTH,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Are you worried about loosing your personal images? If you do a simple upgrade your old profiles from the W7 OS & some other files are being kept in a hidden folder called windows.old. If you are scared about that or like you say not that familiar with the tech bit of an upgrade i'd suggest purchasing a small not expensive external drive and manually copying all data over to that external drive. Do you know accurately where all images are storede? That would make your life a lot easier .
Userlevel 2
if I open widows media all older pix from 2008 to 2013 seem to be there.
Userlevel 2
thanks so much
Userlevel 2
thank you. I have to watch some videos and get a flash drive !
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi petsitter95,

You are most welcome! We were happy to help!;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
? i suddenly had a luminous idea. Does your Secure Anywhere license give you access to use Webroot's cloud backup?? If the answer is yes then dump all the pics in one directory and if it's less then 25Gb just tell Secure Anywhere to back up the folder to the cloud... Point & click a couple of times and then sit & wait till the backup's finished.. Muy safer & robust then a 50$ thumb drive :D
Userlevel 2
Wow, $50 ?! I am quite sure my webroot has the cloud back up. I am going to look into that. Thanks so much for all the help I have received in this community !
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
? to be honest i don't know the US prices and i don't know how many pictures you have but  if you have the cloud feature then why not use it.. Saves you from having to buy a thumb drive.. You could then even use the saved money to buy more space for the future if you really like it
Userlevel 2
perfect ! Ty
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Wow, $50 ?! I am quite sure my webroot has the cloud back up. I am going to look into that. Thanks so much for all the help I have received in this community !
Hi there!

If  you go to BestBuy.com you will find cheap USB Flash drives for a 32GB for 6$ on sale now or a 128GB for 29$. Yes using the cloud would be a great idea. But the Webroot Cloud only has 25GBs. So this depends on how many pictures you have or the size of your picture folder. I find upgrading the Webroot Cloud rather expensive IMO.

Hope that helps some?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
USB Flash Drives are Cheap and I would recommend the 64GB or 128GB see here from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_3?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usb+flash+drive&sprefix=USB%2Caps%2C147

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
😳 sorry for the wrong price quote but i'm used to count in hundreds of Gb's of pictures as it seems my wife was born with a camera in her hand and the amount we have can't be stored on a thumb drive anymore
Userlevel 2
Hi I realized my media player has a sync area and it says to dray items to the right column and connect a device ( I assume to have them go to).  Is this a way I could do it ?  Just buy the flash drive and insert it into slot on laptop and dray my pix to that area and off I go ?  I will be going to BB today and get a flash drive.  You people are awesome !l
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
😳 sorry for the wrong price quote but i'm used to count in hundreds of Gb's of pictures as it seems my wife was born with a camera in her hand and the amount we have can't be stored on a thumb drive anymore
No worries just do a search as I do buddy! http://www.amazon.fr/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_9/277-6751067-9802435?__mk_fr_FR=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usb+flash+disk&sprefix=USB+Flash%2Caps%2C240

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hi I realized my media player has a sync area and it says to dray items to the right column and connect a device ( I assume to have them go to).  Is this a way I could do it ?  Just buy the flash drive and insert it into slot on laptop and dray my pix to that area and off I go ?  I will be going to BB today and get a flash drive.  You people are awesome !l
They would be in these folders unless you have them elsewhere? And this is just in case as I had no issues with an upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 but I always back up my files once a week as you never know! I have something like this as I can swap Drives and I have 2 1TB drives for whatever I want to keep on them: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817707323&cm_re=USB_3_Dock-_-17-707-323-_-Product

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 2
Hi everybody

I think I was able to sync to a 32 gb flash drive ! Yippee, Thanks for all your knowledge, it was so much help