Home Shopping Sites

• 10 December 2016
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Hello everyone,

I've been watching a shopping channel and have a web site to purchase a Shark vacuum but the Filtering Extension is indicating that it is a suspicious site, I'm wondering (as it's the only place I've found, so far, thats offering it at the shown price) whether it would still be OK to go ahead and purchase?  The site does have the https: and shows the padlock.

https://sharkbrilliant.co.uk/

Linda

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi LoopyLinda

Hope that you are well?

Well, lets see now...if you use this link to BrightCloud's URL / IP Lookup page, enter the URL you will get the following return that will explain the rating that WSA is displaying re. the web site:

And as you can see from what is displayed above under '1' & '2' that I have marked, the site is viewed as suspicious because it is a relatively new site of unknown popularity (obviously) but with no past infections.

So based on that I would say that there is a slight risk due to the 'unkown at this point' nature of the site...it could turn out to be legitimate but no one can say so far.

I would therefore Google the site to see if there have been any references to it in terms of quality of service, 'goodness', issues with its sales and/or products to date. If that comes up blank then I would say that you should be OK to go ahead and access the site in terms of danger to your system (you are still well protected by WSA even on a 'potentially malicious' site.

What I cannot say/advise on is whether your purchase will be legitmate and/or trouble free...so if you do go ahead and purchase then make sure that you read the Terms carefully AND you only purchase with a credit card offering fraud & purchase protection.

Sorry I cannot be of more certain assistance.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Hey Baldrick!
Well, thanks very much, that's a very interesting bit of info. Think I'll give it a miss tho' as I've been reading that some have been recalled because of an electric shock risk! First time I've got mesmerized by a tv shopping channel ... never again! ha ha!
Userlevel 7
Hi LoopyLinda

Very wise, if I may make so bold. ;)

Always worth checking the background to site, that WSA reports as 'non OK' especially where suspicious or the like, by using the link I provided...it provides useful information as to the reasons for the rating...but be aware that like anything the rating can be a cautionary one and false positives are not unknown (which, incididentally can be reported to Webroot/BrightCloud for review/change).

Have a great weekend...and I hope that you find yourself an equally good deal from a less contenious site. ;)

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Hi @  Your better off getting the shark vaccum from QVC.com  This company is pretty popular all over and their prices are decent.

Hope this helps?