Hotels Play Finders Keepers with Lost Smartphones and Laptops

• 26 March 2014
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Security professionals are human, no different from anybody else. They're just as likely to check out of a hotel without remembering a smartphone charging in the bathroom, or a laptop in the closet. What happens to those abandoned devices? After the recent RSA Conference in San Francisco, Darren Leroux, Senior Director of Product Marketing at WinMagic, decided to find out.

Finders Keepers
After the attendees had scattered to their homes around the world, Leroux called 33 hotels in the area to ask about their policies regarding lost devices. He also asked whether any RSA attendees had left devices behind. Over half of those who responded reported a "finders keepers" policy. After allowing a reasonable time for the owner to lay claim, they eventually hand over the device to the person who found it.

Full Article

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
That reminds me of a good lifeprotip that I read about.  If you need a phone charger go to a hotel and say you left one behind.  Usually they'll have one to fit your particular model of phone.  Not the most ethical, but I thought it was amusing.
Userlevel 5
I'm not ever going to a hotel ever!