How do I uninstall and reinstall

• 30 May 2014
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi everyone. Had to reinstall system again after windows update gave issues, ow webroot does not appear to be be installed correctly. How do I uninstall and reinstall to overcome this- Help much appreciated

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi David

It should just be a case of either finding the correct entry in Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel, and running the uninstall process, or you can also do that from the Start Menu...if you go to that and click on Mor Prgrams, then navigate down tot he Webroot folder, click on that and in the tree structure that you get you should see an uninstall Webroot option.  If you click on that the uninstaller will execute directly.

Enter the CAPTCHA code requested and allow the uninstall to complete...which should happene almost immediately. Then REBOOT, and then run the installer again, allow the install process to run and complete, then REBOOT again, and you should be done.

If not then please post back here with any issues you run into and we will see if we can help you over come them.

Hope that helps?

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 1
Thanks for the information. Problem started with a windows update downloaded, started my machine the next day to a blank screen eventually after starting in safe mode the message “software conflict” was displayed. So I entered the machine into recovery mode connecting me to the HP recovery site to get it up and running again - A word of warning for anyone doing this.

I bought the HP Presario new with windows 7 home office installed so had no ‘key‘ with which to activate all the features again. HP have the activation key and will not give it to you!

I thyen noticed when typing in an address in the search engine the first letter typed would not register, dying keyboard perhaps? Changed keyboard - same problem! When shutting down I started to get a message about having to wait for a host to shut down in the background, strange I thought. That’s when and why I wanted to uninstall and reinstall webroot again just in case I had not done it correctly in the first place.

I am now wondering if it could be cause by my external storage, I have an Imogene and Toshiba  size 1 and 2 terabyte each.

Do you have any thoughts on this?

David.
Userlevel 7
Hi David

No problem.  If you know which Win Update caused the issue or suspect that you know then I would either System Restore to a point prior to the update being applied or if you do not still have a Restore Point that far back just see if youncan uninstall the specific Win Update...there is an option for doing that if it is allowed for that update, in the Windows Update feature.

If youndo that and find that your PC works normally again then before you do anything else I would take a FULL image of your hard drives...so you have a known working point to go back to in future...and then try installing the suspect update once again, just by itself, etc.

Hope that helps?

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 1
I've tried many things but since doing the system reinstall last week windows has been OK, its just this Host that running in the background that bothers me. I'm wondering if it could be Windows Defender which I allow to run alongside Webroot.
Userlevel 7
Windows Defender and Webroot work fine with each other so its not that.
Userlevel 7
Hi David,

Does Windows tell you the name of the process, i.e. "svchost.exe" or "tskmngr.exe"? I sometimes get that "HOST process is awaiting shutdown" message for no apparent reason too. Regarding your product key, when you buy an OEM machine, it almost always comes with an OEM product key on the COA (Certificate of Authenticity), located somewhere, usually the sides or the back, of the machine. Looking forward to hearing an update!

Shran 😃
Userlevel 1
It flashes on so quickly I am unable to read what host its waiting to close. This problem could be cause by a number of things, wireless headphones, external cassette or DVD drive who knows.

To be honest not having windows office is not a problem, I'm using Open Office 4.10. Although it's not 'packed' with features it does the job, plus I can always use Microsoft works!

I've been using Webroot for many years and have complete trust that its protection my computer, although nothing is infallible!

Anyway thanks for the help will post again if I have any news. David
Userlevel 7
This is my own personal opinion and does not reflect that of Webroot or security experts. IMHO, I wouldn't worry too much about that shutdown message, especially if it only flashes for a second or two, unless you get it each and every single time you shutdown or restart. I've had shutdown messages say that and stay there for minutes before they finally shutdown, and even still I don't worry about it. I suppose it could be caused by an excessive memory usage, or too many programs to be shutdown all at once, so the shutdown manager has to take its time.

HTH,

Shran 😃
Userlevel 1
We Humans think that computers can do everything at once, sometimes that's just not true!

Thanks for all your help.

David