How to Disable AirDrop on Mac

• 20 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7

by: Paul Horowitz

AirDrop offers a fantastic wireless file sharing option for Mac, iPhone, and iPad users, but not everyone may want to have it enabled. If you’re a Mac user you may find yourself in a situation where you’d like to disable AirDrop on the Mac for whatever reason. Using AirDrop is super easy, and you’ll find that turning the feature off is simple too.

Whether you’re wanting to stop receiving inbound AirDrop requests for files, trying to avoid a networking conflict, troubleshooting, or just limit your network footprint, it’s easy to turn off AirDrop on MacOS.

★★ Full Article ★★

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Love airdrop. Really don’t know what I ever did before it. Use it all the time.

Always have mine set to ‘contacts only’

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

I agree, one of the best newer features of the OS. 

And I thought it was set to only allow airdrop from contacts only as default, which means it is not a security issue by default.  Not sure why this needs a whole article though. 

It is simple as :

• Command-space, type Airdrop and select AirDrop.app
  • Near the bottom, is a statement that says:
    • Allow me to be  discovered  by ...
  • That last part can say :everyone, contacts only, or no one and is a pop-up menu
  • Simply click it and set it to “no one “. Boom, it is off. 

Didn't need an article for that!  😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I agree, one of the best newer features of the OS. 

And I thought it was set to only allow airdrop from contacts only as default, which means it is not a security issue by default.  Not sure why this needs a whole article though. 

It is simple as :

• Command-space, type Airdrop and select AirDrop.app
  • Near the bottom, is a statement that says:
    • Allow me to be  discovered  by ...
  • That last part can say :everyone, contacts only, or no one and is a pop-up menu
  • Simply click it and set it to “no one “. Boom, it is off. 

Didn't need an article for that!  😀

I didn't want to be the one to say that! Agree, so simple.

However, you need to know the feature exists and what it does first and maybe these sort of articles help new users to be aware of these features in the first place.