How to get the Windows 10 October 2020 Update (20H2)

• 21 October 2020
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63
October 20, 2020

How to get the Windows 10 October 2020 Update

By 

With organizations moving and adapting from remote to hybrid work scenarios, and essential workers continuing to support us all, it is more important than ever that we continue to provide you with the tools you need to remain protected and productive. In June, we announced Windows 10, version 20H2—and the availability of the first preview build in the Windows Insider Program. We then released a preview build to commercial customers in the Beta and Release Preview Channels for pre-release validation in August. We have continued to make improvements based on the feedback received through these programs and I am pleased to announce that we are beginning the availability of the October 2020 Update. Today’s post offers details on our measured and phased roll out approach, how you can get the update, and information to enable commercial organizations to begin targeted deployments.

Approach on update availability and rollout

In this work, learn and connect from home environment where people are relying on their PCs more than ever before, we are taking a measured seeker-based rollout approach to the October 2020 Update. We are throttling availability over the coming weeks to ensure a reliable download experience, so the update may not be offered to you right away. Additionally, some devices might have a compatibility issue for which a safeguard hold is in place, so we will not offer the update until we are confident that you will have a good update experience.

How to get the Windows 10 October 2020 Update

Beginning today, the October 2020 Update is available initially for users of select devices running Windows 10, version 1903 or later who are interested in experiencing the latest feature updates and are ready to install this release on their device. If you would like to install the new release, open your Windows Update settings (Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update) and select Check for updates. If the update appears, and you are running Windows 10, version 1903 or later, you can simply select Download and install to get started. Once the download is complete and the update is ready to install, we’ll notify you so that you can pick the right time to finish the installation and reboot your device, ensuring that the update does not disrupt your activities. People running the May 2020 Update will have a faster overall update experience because the update will install like a monthly update, just as it was for devices moving to Windows 10, version 1909 from version 1903.

For more information on how to get the October 2020 Update, watch this video. To learn more about the status of the update availability and rollout, safeguard holds, and which holds may be applied to your device, visit the Windows release health dashboard.

Information for commercial customers

As a second half (H2) of the calendar year release, Enterprise and Education editions of Windows 10, version 20H2 will receive 30 months of servicing and support beginning today. We recommend that commercial organizations begin targeted deployments to validate that their apps, devices and infrastructure work as expected with the new release and innovations therein. To support this effort, Windows 10, version 20H2 is now available through Windows Server Update Services (including Configuration Manager), Windows Update for Business and the Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC)1. For more information about deployment options and the latest features for commercial customers, see ‘What’s new for IT pros in Windows 10, version 20H2.’  If you are curious about Windows Server, version 20H2, which was also released today, please refer to Windows Server documentation.

The tools you need to do more and stay secure

Our commitment remains on helping you remain protected and productive, both professionally and personally. The Windows 10 October 2020 Update offers an improved experience for tablet users and those seeking to personalize their taskbars, notifications and other settings. It is also the first Windows 10 release to include the new Microsoft Edge, built on Chromium, enabling you to create profiles for work, life and everything in between so that you can easily sync and switch profiles across devices. For a full recap of these and other improvements, see What’s new in the Windows 10 October 2020 Update.

As with each release, we will closely monitor the October 2020 Update experience and share timely information on the current rollout status and known issues (open and resolved) across both feature and monthly updates via the Windows release health dashboard and @WindowsUpdate. Please continue to tell us about your experience by providing comments or suggestions via Feedback Hub.

Note:

1 It may take a day for downloads to be fully available in the Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC) across all products, markets and languages.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2020/10/20/how-to-get-the-windows-10-october-2020-update/

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

And you can go here to get the ISO: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Userlevel 7
Badge +62

And you can go here to get the ISO: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Thank you Daniel for How to get the Windows 10 October 2020 Update! AND for the link above!! 😁 

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Got it installed and as usual I had to reinstall my sound drivers and repair my gadgets!  Running very nicely!

Don’t forget to clean up your drive afterwards!

Userlevel 7
Badge +62

Sounds perfect Daniel! Gadgets & Sound drivers aren't bad since they're easy enough fixes. I'll get this updated tomorrow on my Alienware!! Fun Fun!! 😊

Oh thanks again for the clean up reminder for all of us. 😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Make sure to put Glasswire in Click to Block mode and shut down VS just in case! WSA was fine running when installing so no issues there!

Userlevel 7
Badge +62

Make sure to put Glasswire in Click to Block mode and shut down VS just in case! WSA was fine running when installing so no issues there!

Wow that's great information.  Nice to know all this ahead of time!🙃 KUDOS Daniel 

Userlevel 7
Badge +62

Hi Webrooters!

The update took about and hour and a half. I just have to install my Gadgets. LOL So far it’s a smoothe transition.

Thank you Daniel! :upside_down:

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Awesome!

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

Finished it, 2 ½ hours for me, everything seems to be working OK so far.

Userlevel 7
Badge +62

That's great Jeff 🙃

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Great and yes I find it running very well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +62

Great and yes I find it running very well.

How cuuute!!!:hugging: