How to Remove the Search Button from Home Screen on iPhone

• 5 November 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7

by: Jamie Cuevas

Apple has included a visible ‘Search’ button on the Home Screen of modern versions of iOS 16 and newer, that when tapped will bring up the devices search function. 

You can also still pull down on the Home Screen to activate the Search feature on iPhone though, so if you find the search button to be redundant, you may appreciate removing the Search button from the Home Screen of iPhone (or iPad).

★★ Full Article ★★

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

This one drives me crazy. The search function was an overload of pulling down on the Home Screen, which does several different things depending on where you pull down from. It’s annoying. So their solution is a button? I guess there were no other obvious ideas. But I would like to see an option to turn off the pull down search and leave the button, just to unload pull down functions. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Can see what you’re saying.

Or an option to choose whether you want either or nothing

i actually have never used the search as I know where all my apps are and use the ‘swipe up’ to access the apps I use all the time. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

i actually have never used the search as I know where all my apps are and use the ‘swipe up’ to access the apps I use all the time. 

Wow, I use it all the time. I have a lot of apps on my phone, and the quickest way to open one is swipe down from the middle, type the beginning of the name, the icon appears, and tap it. Almost as easy and Command-space on the Mac, type a few letters of the app, and it shows up, hit enter. Much faster than finding the app and launching it. 

Maybe I just have too many apps. :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Wow, I use it all the time. I have a lot of apps on my phone, and the quickest way to open one is swipe down from the middle, type the beginning of the name, the icon appears, and tap it. Almost as easy and Command-space on the Mac, type a few letters of the app, and it shows up, hit enter. Much faster than finding the app and launching it. 

Maybe I just have too many apps. :-)

Weird isn’t it. I use cmd + space all the time on a Mac but never use the search on my phone!