How to Schedule Boot / Turn On, Shutdown, Wake / Sleep on MacOS Ventura

• 11 November 2022
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 7

by: Paul Horowitz

Scheduling a Mac to boot, sleep, and shutdown, have been longstanding features in the Energy preference panel on Mac OS since the beginning of the operating system, so if you updated to macOS Ventura and now you’re wondering where those settings went, you aren’t alone. You can still schedule a Mac to turn on and shutdown on a schedule, but how it’s accomplished is different from before.

★★ Full Article ★★

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes, I come across this article yesterday. Strange it’s been moved to command line and off the gui. I know a few people that like to schedule power ups and shutdowns. 
We have these managed via Mdm but weird that end users now cannot do this easily via energy preferences.

Apple seem to keep moving settings/actions to command line, rather annoying 

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

Ok, this is strange, because on my version of Ventura on my iMac Pro, I still see the Energy Saver system preference with those settings. I was running the Beta before, so I wonder if it came across from an early version and they removed it later? 

Im going to go update my MacBookProM1 and see if it shows up there. I am wondering if this is an Intel/M1 thing? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Ok, this is strange, because on my version of Ventura on my iMac Pro, I still see the Energy Saver system preference with those settings. I was running the Beta before, so I wonder if it came across from an early version and they removed it later? 

Im going to go update my MacBookProM1 and see if it shows up there. I am wondering if this is an Intel/M1 thing? 

That’s interesting. Let us know what you find

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

Looks like this was leftover from the Beta. It is  not in the final version it seems.  I wonder why? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Looks like this was leftover from the Beta. It is  not in the final version it seems.  I wonder why? 

Bug or feature. That classic question!

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

Good question.  I’m going to submit a bug report on it and see what happens. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Good question.  I’m going to submit a bug report on it and see what happens. 

👍🏻 Cool. Let us know if you get anything back.

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

So it looks like Energy Saver has been renamed to Battery on portable machines. Some functions are missing depending on your Mac and its features. For example, on my Intel MBP, I see Enable Power Nap  and Wake for network access in the batter options. In my M1, I do not see Enable Power Nap.

Look here https://support.apple.com/en-me/guide/mac-help/mh40774/mac for Power Nap.

Power Nap is now on by default when plugged into a power adapter , but if you are NOT on an M based processor, it should show up in Battery Preference options.

I also see “Low Power Mode” on my Intel MBP, but not on an M1 MPB, nor on my desktop Intel iMac, where I still see Energy Saver instead of Battery, and that still contains “Start up automatically after a power failure” which I do not see in Battery, which is too bad, as I used that on laptops that are always plugged in. 

Schedule is not visible anywhere that I can see.  Here is a good video on how to do it in terminal: 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

All change then. Sometimes though Apple sneak gestures back in later on in an update so we’ll see

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

All change then. Sometimes though Apple sneak gestures back in later on in an update so we’ll see

I have made the request internally through the bug tracking system. Don't know what good it will do, but sometimes others pile on.  I use the restart and shutdown timers all the time on my servers which I shut down at night and restart in the morning. Makes them a lot more stable each day. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I have made the request internally through the bug tracking system. Don't know what good it will do, but sometimes others pile on.  I use the restart and shutdown timers all the time on my servers which I shut down at night and restart in the morning. Makes them a lot more stable each day. 

Let us know if you get any feedback

Yes, very useful on servers. Have this on all the remaining mac file servers our clients have. However, I’ve not upgraded any of the servers to Ventura yet and I’ll hold off for now!