How to Turn an Old Mac into a Chromebook with Chrome OS Flex

• 17 April 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7

Ever wanted to use a Google Chromebook running the Chrome OS? If you have an older Mac laying around that isn’t getting much use, you may be interested in trying out Google Chrome OS Flex on the old Mac, which basically turns the older Mac into a Chromebook. 

One potential advantage to this is the Mac gets an operating system that still receives security updates, whereas some old Mac models that are otherwise perfectly great running machines may no longer receive MacOS security updates, and that matters to some users. You also get to tinker around with a different operating system, based on the Chrome web browser. And perhaps you’ll be able to breathe new life into that older Mac that’s otherwise collecting dust? 

A downside however, is that by installing Chrome OS Flex onto the older Mac, the Mac will no longer have MacOS on the computer, since Chrome OS becomes the operating system on that Mac.

★★ Full Article ★★

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

OK, I did not know this trick. I do have an old MacBook lying around, but it’s a 2012. I may have to see if this will work out that machine.  Great idea. Thank you. Trying this now…

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Same here, have an old 13” MacBook Pro 2012 which isn't really used.

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

Same here, have an old 13” MacBook Pro 2012 which isn't really used.

Exactly the machine I have. I used that until last year when a new machine was finally faster.  Last machine with an optical drive and this bigger battery, so it could run faster than new skinny machines. Latter day ver 8 years. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes. I kept mine too because of the internal optical drive. Feel like I need to keep hold of it just incase!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Always looking for ways to repurpose old tech. This is a great idea!

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

This is awesome. I had seen something similar a while back for repurposing old Windows machines, but hadn’t even thought to do it to my old Mac. I have a 2012 Air that I would love to give this a shot of. Thanks for sharing!