How to Unsend Messages on iPhone

Userlevel 7

Have you ever sent a message from your iPhone and quickly regretted it? Or maybe you sent a message and you realize it didn’t convey what you intended, or it’s full of typos, or it was even sent to the wrong person? That’s where Undo Send comes in, a feature that is now available on iPhone that allows you to unsend messages.

Undo Send allows the unsending of messages, but only for iMessages, which means this feature only works between other iOS, MacOS, and iPadOS users, and there’s a time limit of 5 minutes. Additionally, it only works for users running modern system software, running at least iOS 16 or later or macOS Ventura or later. If the recipient is using an Android, or an older version of iOS or MacOS system software, the Undo Send feature will not be available.

★★ Full Article ★★

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Used this already since it came out. Very useful and wished it had been a feature before!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

A time limit of 5 minutes...what if the recipient has already read it in that time before you recall / unsend it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

A time limit of 5 minutes...what if the recipient has already read it in that time before you recall / unsend it?

Indeed. It’s not perfect, but better than nothing. To be honest, most people i know take longer than 5 minutes to read a message. But yes, nothing can save you if people are just that quick!

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

A word of caution on this feature. During the Beta, the only thing the recipient of the message could see was the final edit. But in the released version, it is now possible for the recipient to see all the edits to the message. I’m hoping that this is an error and will be corrected in the future, but for now, be aware that edits and versions of the message can be viewed. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

A word of caution on this feature. During the Beta, the only thing the recipient of the message could see was the final edit. But in the released version, it is now possible for the recipient to see all the edits to the message. I’m hoping that this is an error and will be corrected in the future, but for now, be aware that edits and versions of the message can be viewed. 

I do hope that is a big and not a feature! You dont really want people to see every edit of a text, defeats the object I wouldve thought!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Kind of negates the point of the system in the first place if they can read all edits hahaha!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Kind of negates the point of the system in the first place if they can read all edits hahaha!!

Exactly! Why would you want anyone to read your edits?!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Here is an audit of how I screwed up 😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Here is an audit of how I screwed up 😂

Or : “I’m sorry I called you a *#*!?”

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

We’ve all been there