How to update Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10 using Windows Update

• 25 January 2015
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +52
The upgrade process
The first thing you need to do is downloaded a small program from Microsoft which prepares your Windows 7 or Windows 8 operating system for the upgrade.
It is a 10 Megabyte file that runs automatically on your computer after you execute it. It requires a restart of the PC so that the changes it made take effect.
The device will boot into the current operating system after restart.
http://cdn.ghacks.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/upgrade-to-windows10-windows-update.jpg
  1. Open Windows Update on the PC now. You can tap on the Windows-key, type Windows Update and hit enter to do so.
  2. There you need to click on the check for updates button. It may take a while for the check to complete.
  3. In the end, the update to Windows 10 should be displayed which you can run with a click on the install button.
  4. As you can see on the screenshot above, the update has a size of 2.8 Gigabyte. The download may take a while depending on your Internet connection speed.
  5. The update installer runs the same upgrade process as the ISO installer.
Important remarks
It seems possible to go back to the old operating system after the update. While that is the case, it is highly suggested that you create a backup of your important files and data before you proceed with the update.
If you are running a 32-bit version of Windows, you cannot upgrade to 64-bit versions of Windows 10.
There is also no option to change the interface language during the upgrade process.
You can remove the "update to Windows 10 preparation update" again from Windows. You find it in the installed updates list as "Update for Microsoft Windows (KB2990214)".
Closing Words
Windows 10 will be a free upgrade in the first year to all (home) customers who run Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 devices and it is likely that Microsoft will make Windows Update one of the delivery options for the update.

Full Article

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Thanks, Petr...but I do not think that I will be doing this anytime soon, as upgrades from one version to another are never as good as a clean install from scratch so I suspect that I will do that rather than take the easy option and then have a number of issues thereafter with the upgraded installation.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Yes Hello..

Thanks Petr..

@

Well it's always good to hear other points of view which is good to know for people like me who get over zealous and jump in with both feet wet if you get my drift!;)
Userlevel 7
Hi Sherry

Please do  not take my observations as 'gospel'...they are based on my own experiences with upgrades of Windows in the past...and who knows bu MS may have gotten it right this time...I just will be holding back until there is a body of evidence that says it works and that long term it does not cause any issues in Windows 10 in use...that is all.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Thanks Petr I have them running on VM's but I don't suggest anyone to install the Win 10 Preview on there main PC until it's released and in reality it's not even a Beta at this point.

Thanks,

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Webroters!

I do have the Windows 10 running on an old Dell and haven't had any issues but I haven't been on W10 Preview much at all this last month to say that it's running smoothly or not. Webroot is working well with my version .... 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hello Webroters!

I do have the Windows 10 running on an old Dell and haven't had any issues but I haven't been onW10 Preview much at all this last month to say that it's running smoothly or not. Webroot is working well with my version .... ;)
Every new Build allot of the files need to be whitelisted as it crashes my VM's but once that is done WSA works perfectly! I already sent logs for the 64bit version but not 32bit so if your running 32bit version can someone contact support to get the files whitelisted for Build 9926 please!

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Daniel,

I'm running the 32 bit and when I get back I can check on these.. 🙂 Edit: Sorry Daniel I don't think I'm running that version..I'll check when I can on that build 9926.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hi Daniel,

I'm running the 32 bit and when I get back I can check on these.. 🙂 Edit: Sorry Daniel I don't think I'm running that version..I'll check when I can on that build 9926.
Yes it's a new Build out just this week!

Daniel