How Well is Your System Protected?? --Five Simple Test from AMTSO

Show first post

119 replies

Userlevel 3
Thanks TH...I'll sure give that a try in the morning. That sounds interesting and might help. I appreciate it and I'll drop and let you know how it went.

Bob
Userlevel 3
Hey TH, that REVO is quite a piece of kit, but it didn't make any changes regarding Chrome unfortunately. I used REVO to uninstall Chrome as well, reinstalled it, then reinstalled WSA once again and still no extension beyond the Webroot Password Manager, and no Chrome folder or extension populated for manual insertion. I appreciate the info provided however; it looked like something that could make a difference. There was quite a few bits left behind to delete for sure. It sure would have been nice to have had access to something like REVO back in the NAV days!

Why do I keep getting this error when I try to post btw? I'm not using any HTML in my posts but I've gotten this several times.

"Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied."

Thanks!

Bob
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hi Bob, sorry thing's aren't working out for you I would contact support again and ask for a Remote Session because that is a very odd issue as your not getting the Chrome Folder in the WRDataPKGChrome. Also do you have any other Security software running in realtime with WSA? If you do can you disable it and try another clean reinstall with the Reboot's to see if that works. If that doesn't work we have gone as far as we can go on the Forums so the support inbox is the only place they can help you more and again ask for a Remote Session as I would like to see this get fixed for you.

Thanks,

Daniel
Userlevel 3
Hello TH....I did call for that purpose, but was told the estimated hold time would be 40 minutes. I called at a bad time I'm sure, as business typically picks up in the early evening after work, so I'll try again this morning.

What contributes to the strangeness is that it is on two of my Windows 8.1 machines, the Surface Pro and the ThinkPad X61. That suggests to me that it isn't a hardware issue at all and that there is some type of a conflict between WSA and the late versions of Chrome, but support wasn't able to replicate it.

I'm not running any other Security software, no. I now have Malware Bytes installed, just in case of a disaster, and some good backups. I do have time left on a Bitdefender product, which I could install, but WSA has such a small footprint, it's perfect for both of my SSD (storage space challenged) machines. I'd like to get it worked out anyway, as I'm sure it's not just me having this issue. The Surface Pro has very little installed excepting MS Office, so it's not much more than a virgin machine (haven't had enough time to corrupt!).

I agree that we've gone as far as we can on the forum with this, and if I get any positive results from tech support live, I'll post for the benefit of others. I certainly appreciate everyone's efforts and support!

Thanks,

Bob
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hi Bob can you do it again through the Ticket System I really would like to get to the bottom of this because WSA should be installing the Chrome Folder with the Extension even if you don't have Chrome installed that's the whole point and even add the link to this post so they can see what we tried and be firm that you want a Remote Session and get them to install it! @ @ 

Thanks,

Daniel
Userlevel 3
Hello Daniel,

I'm still communicating with Tech Support on this issue, and just got back home and will try to call them right now. Thanks!

Bob
Userlevel 3
Update. I just got off the phone with tech support. The agent said they are aware of this issue; in fact they discussed it in a group meeting and they decided to pass it on to the developers for their review and input. They will update me through the ticket system when they hear anything. When I hear something, I'll repost.

Thanks again!

Bob
Userlevel 7
Hi Bob

Just got into the Community.

How are you?

Very interesting but does not surprise me.  Not quite a perfect result but at least you know that you are now not alone.  Do keep us posted with whatever the Support Desk come back with...and if you do not hear from anyone after what appears to be a reasonable while do not be afraid to 'nudge' both via the Support Ticket system and over here in the Community.

Have a great weekend.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Update. I just got off the phone with tech support. The agent said they are aware of this issue; in fact they discussed it in a group meeting and they decided to pass it on to the developers for their review and input. They will update me through the ticket system when they hear anything. When I hear something, I'll repost.

Thanks again!

Bob
Well that's good to hear we are getting somewhere!

Thanks for the Info!

Daniel  😉
Userlevel 3
Hey guys,

The response from the team made a lot of sense to me; it didn't fix my problem, but I believe they're on the right track. I believe Chrome, or at least the later versions of it, are making it a little more difficult regarding extensions. I knew that to be the case; all of them are supposed to come from the Play store I'm told. That doesn't explain how the Webroot Password Manager extension is able to sneak through of course. At any rate, I'm posting their suggestion here, as it may help others, even though it didn't work for me. It just looks reasonable to me anyway. This from an Escalation Engineer:

"Hello,

There are a number of changes that Google has made to make Chrome more secure, one of these initiatives was started with the 33.x build. The idea is to force all extension installation via the Chrome store. While this isn't yet a requirement, some of the code base to make this a reality is in place on the 33.x build.

It is possible that the method we are using to install the extension isn't working in your particular installation of Chrome. This may be because of several issues, however, it may be possible to force the extension installation by following a procedure. I've outlined this process below, while there is no guarantee that this will work, it would be good to try it as we've had some success in the past.

1. Uninstall Webroot
2. Uninstall Chrome
3. Reboot
4. Install Chrome
5. Reboot into Safe Mode with Networking
6. Install Webroot
7. Reboot into normal Mode

Check to see f the extensions installed properly,If so, great, if not, please let us know and we'll update our development team to reflect the information.

Thanks,"

So we'll see when/if there is anything they can do to resolve. I've left Chrome and am working it out in Firefox and getting more comfortalble each day I think. So there's no hurry.

Just keepin' you up to date!

Bob
Userlevel 7
Hi Bob

How are you keeping?

Thanks for posting back re. the info from the Support Team...this sort of feedback is extremely useful to the Community going forward.

Glad to see that you have an alternative browser available; I have always used FF until recently when I started using Chrome, but I also use Maxthon Cloud (not supported by WSA re. the Filtering extension :().

Look forward to your further update as and when.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hey TH I just read your post here and I needed that info and pictures. Thanks
Userlevel 3
Hello all...I'm resurrecting this old thread to brief everyone who was interested in what has transpired. Briefly, I had/have an issue where the AMTSO phishing test failed with Webroot and Chrome, yet passed with Webroot and Firefox. A lot of excellent support here on the forum, and finally a suggestion to open a ticket with tech support, which I did. They worked with me for some time now, trying many different things, even showing me where I could get the Webroot filtering extension in the Chrome store, which installed it in the browser. However, although it was there, for some reason it just wasn't working; at least on this test. A couple of remote accesses, and an installation of a couple of tools to capture information later, they were able to understand what is causing the issue, and have plans to roll a fix out later pending testing and bandwidth availability. I was very impressed with the level of support, and the professional and courteous manner in which it was provided! I'm completely confident in the product and the folks doing their best to ensure it's the best available!

Bob
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Can you look under extensions in Chrome and confirm the you have the Web Filtering extension the number doesn't matter?

Thanks,

Daniel

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Thanks for the update, Bob, and for hanging in there with support!
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Can you look under extensions in Chrome and confirm the you have the Web Filtering extension the number doesn't matter?

Thanks,

Daniel

Oh.., in Chrome I still have the extension signed with 1.0.0.32.
Was it updated?
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Miquell, Heres mine
Webroot Filtering Extension Mac 1.0.1.40 
Userlevel 3
Hello! I do indeed have the filtering extension installed. I had to do it manually from the Chrome store, but it's there...just not working entirely, but will be soon as tech support is pushing something in the next couple of days.

Bob

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yes it is failing we can see if @ could get someone on it as BrightCloud says it bad! I tried IE11, Firefox 28 & the latest Chrome.

Thanks,

Daniel :@

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Let me see what I can do.
Userlevel 5
I am researching this now.
Userlevel 5
After further testing, it is our business customers using the legacy PhishCheck web filtering component that are not blocked by this. Consumers using the new PhreshPhish web filtering are properly blocking this test page.

I am having this added to the PhishCheck database and should be blocked within 24hrs.

Let me know if anyone is seeing anything different.

Thanks all,
Userlevel 7
Hi Shawn,
Many thanks for your support!

Mike
Userlevel 7
Hi Shawn

Thanks for keeping us posted on this one.  An interesting conumdrum...should it be block or not, etc.  Glad that we now have clarity on this point.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
After further testing, it is our business customers using the legacy PhishCheck web filtering component that are not blocked by this. Consumers using the new PhreshPhish web filtering are properly blocking this test page.

I am having this added to the PhishCheck database and should be blocked within 24hrs.

Let me know if anyone is seeing anything different.

Thanks all,
Hi @ ,

I still don't understand as I'm using the Consumer version and I have this Filter and it's not being Blocked?

TIA,

Daniel