I downloaded Windows 10. I closed my QuickBooks but did not make a backup file of it. Now it's gone

• 28 August 2015
  • 1 reply

I downloaded Windows 10. I closed my QuickBooks but did not make a backup file of it. Now it's gone.
Not completely  but I lost the last two months worth of work. Is there a way to retrieve it?

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hello MKariBarr, welcome to the Webroot Community!

While I do know that following upgrade to Windows 10 you are given a 30 day period in which to return to the previous version of Windows (thus the OS files of your previous system have been backed up), this does NOT backup data files.  The process of upgrading to Windows 10 or downgrading back does not make changes to documents or data files.  I wanted to say this right away so you do not attempt downgrading.  The less maniuplation to the hard drive you do the better to have a better chance of recovery.

Since the data loss is not, evidently, related to Malware, there is not much that can be done by Webroot for this UNLESS you had the data backed up using Webroot Backup & Sync.  Please let me know if you had the QuickBooks data files backed up using this.  We might be able to help recover them here if you did, BUT that is assuming you kept the data files backup up at least once a day.

Having lost two months of data, is that the last time you saved or backed up your QuickBooks data?

You may want to consult with QuickBooks to see if they have any methods or tools with which to recover lost or corrupted data.