I'm trying to figure out if I need a server or not. wifi, home security cameras, media station..ect

• 27 March 2016
  • 4 replies

I'm trying to figure out if I need a server or not. wifi, home security cameras, media station..ect

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello  toddcheyob,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

This all depends on what you want this for or why you are asking?

A Server is a computer or computer program that manages access to a centralized resource or service in a network.

Wifi is certainly good to have to connect your computers.  allowing computers, smartphones, or other devices to connect to the Internet or communicate with one another wirelessly within a particular area.

Home security cameras? Depends on where you live and if you would feel more secure having them,
 Media station?Are you referring to online radio? Or like Windows Media Player? For music...

Userlevel 7
Hi toddcheyob

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Sounds to me that you may well be looking for something like NAS or Network Attached Storage.

Instead of connecting directly to an individual desktop or laptop computer, a NAS server connects to your wireless router. This effectively allows multiple users from multiple computers to access and share the content and files stored on it.

These have actually come down in price a great deal recently and a basic NAS devcie can be gotten for very little money, relatively speaking.

Your best bet here would be to Google such sarches as "How to select & implement a NAS device" or the like and yo will find plenty of informaiton on this.

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Thank you Baldrick! I totally missed this question. Appreciated the assist!:D
Userlevel 7
You are most welcome, Sherry...always happy to help...TEAMWORK! :D

Regards, Baldrick