IBM goes full-bore on an Apple-based enterprise strategy

• 16 July 2014
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

IBM gets to ride atop the 'new PC,' and Apple gets serious enterprise credibility

By Galen Gruman

IBM is betting on Apple to carry its analytics and cloud portfolio into the modern era. Apple is betting on IBM to cement the iPad's status as the new enterprise computing standard.
The two companies -- who've long supported each other in a common though inconsistent aliliance against Microsoft -- today announced a tie-up that will have IBM develop more than 100 iOS apps, sell iPads and iPhones to industry verticals with preinstalled apps, and enhance its mobile management offerings for iOS devices. Apple will support the IBM apps through its AppleCare program.

Full Article

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Free enterprise at work! 
Looking forward to seeing all the new products that will be introduced in the near future
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Well IMHO I was always a fan of IBM from the Aptiva PC days and working for IBM doing punch cards but I would like to say is the combination between Apple and IBM sounds great to me. Might surpass the competition? LOL
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Well IMHO I was always a fan of IBM from the Aptiva PC days and working for IBM doing punch cards but I would like to say is the combination between Apple and IBM sounds great to me. Might surpass the competition? LOL
Do I detect a monopoly in the works, LOL! 
Userlevel 7
More on the IBM - Apple Deal

JULY 16, 2014
iOS developers poised to win big in Apple-IBM deal

Alliance gets iPads in hands of IBM-backed businesses -- and gives enterprise-ready iOS developers a big new market
By Paul Krill InfoWorld

Mobile developers with knowledge of Objective-C and Apple's fledgling Swift language could be the big winners in the company's newly announced partnership with IBM. That alliance has IBM firmly endorsing the iPad, with Big Blue reselling Apple's popular tablet device preconfigured with enterprise apps for vertical industries. More iPads will end up at large IBM shops, opening up new markets for iOS application builders. Some -- but not all -- iOS developers could have a major opportunity to earn lots of income in the enterprise space, said iOS application developer Christopher Allen, CTO of software developer ReOrientmedia.com. "Working at an enterprise level often requires 'full stack' skills, from UX to client engineering and on through to a scalable back end, which is the kind of experience the more indie app developers don't have," he noted. "Those teams that have this broader experience will do well."

Full article