If You Were To Build A Computer, What Would You Build, And Why?

• 10 February 2013
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 6
  • Community Leader
  • 324 replies
I finally came to the realization that, after about six years, I was due for a new machine.  The technological advances during that span of time were formidable and, while I pride myself at keeping reasonably current with technology, I realized I was unfamiliar with a lot of good product.  I turned to folks on this site (MikeR and TripleHelix) for assistance.  I am not much of a gamer, but I do make use of extensive word processing and surfing.  Also, I am much too impatient and dislike any kind of delay in functionality.  Speed is important to me.

Here’s what I came up with and plan to build:

• Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
  • ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
  • Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 8 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80637I73770K
  • Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHZ (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10)
  • Intel 520 Series Solid-State Drive 480 GB SATA 6 Gb/s 2.5-Inch - SSDSC2CW480A3K5 (Reseller Kit)
  • Asus Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-Ray Drive (BC-12B1ST)
  • EVGA GeForce GTX660 2048MB GDDR5 192-Bit, Dual DVI-D, HDMI, DP and 3-Way SLI Ready GPU Graphics Cards 02G-P4-2660-KR
  • Corsair Professional Series AX 850 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold (AX850)
  • Corsair Obsidian Series Black 550D Mid Tower Computer Case (CC-9011015-WW)
  • Silverstone SDP08 3.5 to 2 X 2.5-Inch Bay Converter
 Since I have not yet started to build, comments and suggestions are always appreciated.

I have found the best prices on Amazon (I was amazed at their inventory), although certain products were cheaper on eBay, especially with a winning bid.

All this having been said, if you were to build a computer, what would you build, and why?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
I built my office computer. It is nothing fancy, but good enough for my office work and to run iRacing with no problems. It has:

HD: Two 500Gb hard drives
CPU: AMD A8-3750K
Motherboard: Biostar A55
Power: 650 watt (I forget the brand)
Memory: Two 4 Gig sticks (Forget the brand or speed)
AMD Radeon Video Card (this enables a 2 monitor system)
Windows 8 Pro (Because I am a pro, of course)

Userlevel 7
I am excited for your build!

I will be updating my processor and graphics in a few months. 😃
Userlevel 7
RWM, you have my admiration 😉. I am not so tech savvy to build a computer myself. Moreover I prefer laptops, so whenever I want to buy a laptop I am asking IT manager in my company to select a one for me. However I am usually ending up with Sony VAIO regardless on his recommendations so he is becoming more reluctant to my requirements :D