Intel announces its first i7 8-core Extreme Edition processor

• 20 March 2014
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Intel is placing some bets that the desktop PC isn't dead yet by announcing plans to release new processors made for those products; they include the company's first Core i7 chip that will have eight cores and 16 threads.

Intel's upcoming "Devil's Canyon" processor.

Full Article

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
This will be interesting for gaming, given that Xbone and PS4 both have 8 core processors.  For porting over to PC, that means that multiple cores will be more useful than they were the previous gen.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I hope they make a mobile version as well I will be looking for a new High End Laptop this time next year I have no need for Desktops anymore and gave it to my niece!

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Long live the Desktop!   Otherwise how the hell do you do this...http://www.forumsextreme.com/images2/sFun_bangdesk.gif...not quite the same effect on a laptop.

But speaking seriously I am a Desktop fan and this bodes well for them to remain in being...for those that want to use them. 

Userlevel 6
And now for the "big" questiion.....will Intel throw in a life time product key for McAfee Internet Security? (Intel-McAfee):D
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
How exciting, I love the power of a desk top with an 8-core processor. I'm going to make sure I'm the first one on the block for a new desktop..Thanks Petr. But I'll make sure I have Windows 9 in it. Sounds like a plan. Of course McAfee will be my choice of AV...NOT! Smiley/wink

Forever Webroot, Sherry
Userlevel 7
Like Daniel I too will be looking forward to this new processor coming to laptops. I wouldn't necessarily get one but I'll keep an eye on the products.

The mobility, convenience, power and time saving quality packed into a laptop easily beat the desktop. Just saying.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello ams963, well can't we have a laptop AND a desktop with this new i7 8- core? Yes it's all what ones prefence is..Now if it comes with a massive hard drive,and ...how about a top of the line cooling system, GB of DRAM, and High grade video card.

Well shall we build our own? Maybe it's better to have a laptop and more economical ..

Dream away, Sherry
Userlevel 7
You're right Sherry. But I like laptops better.;)