Is it bad when I find I have 82 security patches from Microsoft that I haven't installed yet?

Userlevel 6
As some of you might know I am very tech backward and I don't know a whole lot about computers. 

I don't know what should be installed and what can be left off so that it doesn't 'mess up' the way my laptop performs.

Because my previous protection product was a resource hog with downloading massive files, I had changed the automatic installation feature to check with me before doing any automatic installations.

I figured that if I saw what the file names were then if I had a problem after they were uploaded, then I could pinpoint where the problem was.

But, after poking around on my computer today I found this log that says there are 82 files/patches/updates from MIcrosoft that should be installed...

So, is this bad?  Should I try installing them or, should I count my blessings that everything has been fine without them?

Again, being overly cautious is a bad trait of mine and when I am unsure on how to proceed, I... don't... :$

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Good morning Stephanie :)

Security Patches from Microsoft are safe, and are important.  I advise that you take the time to go ahead and install them.

I do agree 100% with disabling automatic download... sometimes there are updates that you just don't need, like packs for language support involving languages you do not speak.  Not much need of those in my opinion LOL.  But you DO need to get the updates marked Critical and Important installed. 

:)

The good thing is that Microsoft's updates are free from the added extra's that cause so many problems.  You don't have to worry about Windows Update downloading all the PUA's that we discuss so much about here on the Community.
Userlevel 6
@DavidP1970 wrote:
Good morning Stephanie :)

Security Patches from Microsoft are safe, and are important.  I advise that you take the time to go ahead and install them.

I do agree 100% with disabling automatic download... sometimes there are updates that you just don't need, like packs for language support involving languages you do not speak.  Not much need of those in my opinion LOL.  But you DO need to get the updates marked Critical and Important installed. 

:)

The good thing is that Microsoft's updates are free from the added extra's that cause so many problems.  You don't have to worry about Windows Update downloading all the PUA's that we discuss so much about here on the Community.
Thanks, David!:D
I started getting chesty and was looking around on my computer after you had mentioned adding security patches from Microsoft, so I did a little sleuthing and i found that section where it had all sorts of critical security files to upload...  it's up to 498MB I think....

Since I didn't realize they were there, I guess I'll have to let them install! :S

Will they install by the oldest to the newest or do I have to select each one to install?  My fear is that if I 'uncheck' something and then install 1 upload then all the others will disappear because I didn't leave it checked on the list...  Or can that even happen?  :p

I know, the tech dweeb strikes again!  ;)

Anyway, thanks for your input!  I'm glad to know that those updates/patches won't mess up how my system works, just make it more secure...

Although I haven't felt a single twinge of worry since I installed my WSA product!  Still a very happy camper!  :D

Stephanie

Userlevel 7
You can probably have them all checked, but expect that they may not all install at one time.  One patch might require an earlier to be installed first, but it usually sort itself out along the way, though you may have to reboot the computer a few times before they are all installed.

After each reboot, once everything had finished, go back to Updates and re-select any remaining, etc etc.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I'm wondering if you should install a few at a time:

a) I don't know if their QA tests installing 82 patches at once

b) if one of those patches does cause you trouble, it'll be easier to revert if you've done them in smaller batches

What do you think @ ?
Userlevel 7
Yes... Nic does have a good point there....  I have not generally had to install that many LOL.

You might wait until TH has been on to give his advice... he is our Microsoft Guru here 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Oh and make sure your machine is backed up first too!
Userlevel 7
Badge +52

What is Windows Update?

There's an easy, free way to help keep your PC safer and running smoothly. It's called Windows Update. All you have to do is turn it on, and you'll get the latest security and other important updates from Microsoft automatically.

Check your settings

Setting up Windows Update is simple: Just go to the Microsoft Update website. If you've already got automatic updating turned on, Windows Update in Control Panel will open and show your update status. If it's not yet turned on, you'll be guided through the steps to do so. After that, all the latest security and performance improvements will be installed on your PC quickly and reliably.

It's (mostly) automatic

When you turn on automatic updating, most updates will download and install without you having to lift a finger. But sometimes Windows Update will need your input during an installation. In this case, you'll see an alert in the notification area at the far right of the taskbar—be sure to click it. If you don't respond to a Windows Update alert, your PC might end up missing an important download.
We recommend that you use automatic updating—but if you choose not to, be sure to check for updates at least once a week.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/windows-update
Userlevel 7
Petrovic is correct, that it is usually turned on, and if it isn't, you should check for updates weekly.

I choose to disable Automatic as there have been some updates that were not checked and caused problems upon release.  They tend to be removed within a day when that happens, and re-released at a later time once fixed.

My manually updating once a week, admittedly a few days behind the release, I have avoided a few of the bad updates.

Just my own way of doing things, but yes, if automatic is off you must manually check weekly.

I have also in the past had my computer decide it wants to reboot at inopportune times when an update requires it... so I prefer to manually start them so that I am not suddenly presented with a prompt that the computer requires reboot now.
Userlevel 7
Completely agree with David...whilst auto updates are great in principle, of late there have been a number that have been found to causes issues once installed...and God forbid one of those that you cannot uninstall, and so have to depend on a recent image to recover from the issues caused...assuming that you have such an image.

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:

b) if one of those patches does cause you trouble, it'll be easier to revert if you've done them in smaller batches

What do you think @ ?
Well, I don't know about the Microsoft QA testers, but I can personally vouch for 153 at one time :S but I must point out that was on a Windows 2003 server not a PC :p
Userlevel 7
Well, in the instance of a fresh Windows install.....  it seems to work correctly to get everything in.
Userlevel 7
Personally, with that number to install unless it is a fresh install and therefore a 'catch up' update session, I would install in small groups, usually by category of update, i.e., all IE-related updates, all Win Security updates, etc., and leave the .NET-related ones until last as they are the ones that usually cause the most issues in my experience.

Hope that helps?

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:

What do you think @ ?

Well it's best to install the Important ones first then the Recommended and then the Optional ones but I have installed all sometimes with problems and without so you do what you like to do and hope for the best I know it sounds silly that's Windows for ya!

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
And on the second Tuesday of each month it's always security updates and the forth Tuesday they might at times have non security updates but the last few years there haven't been many on the forth Tuesday,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 6
So....

What I'm getting here is that being cautious and not having the automatic updates install is a good thing to keep useless or wonky updates from installing... :D

But being oblivious to the number of updates/patches compiling in a folder is a bad thing.... :(

My dweeb tiara is, like, welded to my head now... :p

Thank you all for your input.  I think I'll try installing a few at a time, oldest first, and see what happens...  And hope I don't fritz out my system!!!!  :S

Stephanie
Userlevel 6
Well, I wouldn't call it "BAD",......
Microsoft can hog your resources especially on a "patch tuesday".  I set my system to be notified when updates are available. That too can slow your system down when it is checking for updates, I check for updates periodically manually. So go thru the list and select all the critical and security updates. Some updates offered recently you may want if they fix an issue you have been experiencing.
Happy updating!
Userlevel 6
Good point Nic1
Depending on how far back they go, some of the patches require a previous patch to be installed 1st. Recently I set up a new  laptop for someone.  There were more than 82 patches and updates that needed to be installed, but thinking about it now, I do remember that on 1st check for updates only a handful were ioffered. After installing the 1st round, another han dfull were available. So I think Microsoft may have gotten it together a little on that. Iy will take some time and patience to get 82 security patches downloiaded and iunstalled.