is not streaming a security danger

• 21 December 2014
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 2
Doesnot streaming tv or otherwise make your PC more vulnerable to security risks malware and hacking etc?

this has been a surprisingly difficult question for me to find an answer. (maybe because all browsers and servers have an interest in having us do it?).
thanks for any guidance

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello homme,

Welcome to the Community Forum!

I've done some research and please have a look here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/privacy-and-security-when-streaming-your-media-frequently-asked-questions

Maybe this will help clarify streaming! There are numerous articles when you google this.

Best regards,
Userlevel 7
Hi homme

Good question (we seem to be having quite a few this afternoon...;)).

Well, from my perspective as some one who does stream movies to my PC (& my TV for that matter) I would say that 'yes' it does, and that is why you need to make sure that you are (i) connected to the internet via a router & (ii) you are running capable anti malware software, etc.

As for guidance, that is covered in (i) & (ii) above, as if your ins/out to/from the Internet are secureed then you should be protected against nasties from that angle.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 2
Many thanks Sherry,

i went to your suggested link and yes there was some good info there -I even made a pdf of it.

if by chance you come across any other good links or info, i would be very happy to receive them at any time in the future.

Sincerely, homme
Userlevel 7
Hi homme

You are most welcome.  Please also note the very good point made by David re. source of the streamed item...he is of course correct but I believe that that goes for anything on the Web, irrespective of the type of item being retrieved, viewed, etc...if one frequents the Dark Side one should expect a higher than normal chance of being bitten by the Dark Side...not that I am for one minute suggesting by that, that you question was nefariously motivated...;) 

Happy streaming!

Baldrick

Userlevel 7
Homme, 

While obviously the Community is intended to provide support and help with WSA products, we are usually quite happy to give help or opinion on just about anything.  We may be volunteers here, but we love doing it.  Come back anytime you have a problem or question and I am sure someone will give it a try on helping you out 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Many thanks Sherry,

i went to your suggested link and yes there was some good info there -I even made a pdf of it.

if by chance you come across any other good links or info, i would be very happy to receive them at any time in the future.

Sincerely, homme
Hello homme!

You are quite welcome and I'm so glad that I was able to help out! 

Thanks for getting back to us! Will do if I find more links!:D

Have a great day!

Best Regards,
Userlevel 2
thanks and a great day to you also Sherry! homme
Userlevel 2
Thanks Baldrick,

your reply was quite informative and helpful.
Regard  homme
Userlevel 7
Hello there!

My own opinion is a bit different, and maybe NOT the right approach LOL.  I tend to think that it just depends on the source of the streaming media.  Something I find on Facebook would indeed present a security risk, however a mainstream service like Netflix or Hulu could probably be assumed to be safe to use without risk.

Just my own $0.02, but I fully agree with Baldrick as well that it is imperative to have antimalware on the device no matter what.  
Userlevel 2
Thanks David, (i hope iam answering David)
@ wrote:
Hello there!

My own opinion is a bit different, and maybe NOT the right approach LOL.  I tend to think that it just depends on the source of the streaming media.  Something I find on Facebook would indeed present a security risk, however a mainstream service like Netflix or Hulu could probably be assumed to be safe to use without risk.

Just my own $0.02, but I fully agree with Baldrick as well that it is imperative to have antimalware on the device no matter what.  
Thank you David,

Your wariness of Facebook shows me we are on the same wavelength.
You trust Netflix &Hulu--I guess in part because they must have there own strong-ish security and the fact that the type of on-line communications would be different than Facebook?

(As far as security, I have the webroot & Malwarebytes premium installed [even window defender since that seems to work with webroot as other webrooters have noted] .
Appreciate your reply and any other,
homme
Userlevel 2
@ wrote:
Hi homme

You are most welcome.  Please also note the very good point made by David re. source of the streamed item...he is of course correct but I believe that that goes for anything on the Web, irrespective of the type of item being retrieved, viewed, etc...if one frequents the Dark Side one should expect a higher than normal chance of being bitten by the Dark Side...not that I am for one minute suggesting by that, that you question was nefariously motivated...;) 

Happy streaming!

Baldrick

Hey Baldrick, your point well made & taken. thanks homme
Userlevel 2
thanks David, I seeyou are what you say and it is appreciated . homme