Just Delete Me

• 24 August 2013
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
After seeing a few tweets about how difficult it can be to delete your Skype account and then hearing that Netflix flat-out won’t delete your details I decided to build JustDelete.me.

JustDelete.Me is a directory of urls to delete your account from web services. (Yes, I am aware how terrible that description is. If you’ve got a better one, let me know). Services are marked either easy, medium or hard depending on how difficult it is to delete that account. Those marked as hard have additional information on how to completely remove your account, such as Skype which requires you to contact customer services to do so.
Full Article

And the current List

This is a very interesting site it has only been up for a few days and already has lots of visitors. It helps you be able to delete accounts at various popular sites quickly and sorts them into easy to delete, medium difficulty to delete, and impossible to delete. I didn't know it is impossible to delete your Netflix account and some others. And you can contact him to add other difficult sites! 

TH

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Thx Daniel, really helpful link 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
That's what I thought and I was surprised to see how many sites will not delete your account.

Daniel
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
... how many sites will not delete your account.
although they pretend they deleted it.
Userlevel 7
A lot of sites may. 'Remove' the account, so that it is no longer useable or recoverable for use, but I am not at all surprised see they will not fully delete the data. They are like any other place of business and have a right to maintain data for their own records if they desire.
Userlevel 7
Just to add complication and confusion to the topic, have you thought about what happens with those profiles that cannot be removed after you die?  A search on Google can be a bit morbid yet enlightening and entertaining as well.  :)