Laptop w/o battery ?

• 19 November 2016
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
So, when I decide to begin using my Lenovo Laptop G570 w/o battery does my charging system default to charge or no charge since it will be sensing zero voltage?  Also what happens to the battery monitoring software.  What kinds of warnings and alerts can I expect ?  

4 replies

Hi BlazeTen,

I have a laptop that has run without a battery for years. It will not affect voltage at all since the laptop will not attempt to charge what is not there. As far as monitoring software, mine simply says that no battery is present, but I don't get popups or notifications about this. I only see this if I open the monitoring software. You can also uninstall or disable the battery monitoring software if you choose.

Hope this info helps, :)
BD
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Thanks there @.  Hopefully my final question is do you leave it plugged in as you would a desktop or unplug when powered off after removing the battery?:D
Hi BlazeTen,

You're welcome. As far as leaving it plugged in, I don't think there is a danger to that other than the fact that laptop power adapters tend to run hot and that heat could, over time, lead to premature failure. That and the fact that, like chargers for cell phones or other devices, they will continue to consume electricity when plugged-in, even if not connected to a device or if the device is off. For that reason I unplug all chargers when not in use just to conserve energy. Some people connect their computers and peripherals to a power-strip and use the switch on that to power everything down when not in use. This helps to lessen the "leaking" of power that adapters are subject to.

Hope this info helps, ;)
BD

Userlevel 7
Badge +25
great post BurnDaddy, very informative.  Thank you.